Use temp sensor to set virtual thermostat (current) temp

I'm trying to setup a virtual thermostat that combines temp from a multi-sensor with an inwall smart outlet to control a heater plugged into it. My thought was that I would use rule machine to update the vThermostat's temp whenever it was not equal to the multi-sensor's temp. But I'm not seeing any action that allow's me to set an attribute in this way.

So the question is... How can I have the vThermostat's temp track another sensor's temp?

I know I could just setup rules to turn the outlet on/off depending on temp reading from sensor vs setpoint of the virtual Thermostat, but having a couple rules to make the temp attribute track the other sensor, and the outlet state track the vThermostat's heating mode so that the virtual Thermostat is a single point of reference for temp and setpoints and outlet control seems so much cleaner.

Average All

Shameless plug :slight_smile:

Andy

1 Like

Will Average All actually set the Temperature Attribute on the Virtual Thermostat, or does it just give me another Temperature virtual device with the average of multiple real sensors?

Josh
Someone asked me a long time ago to make it work with a virtual thermostat as the output.
So now, you have the option for my average all device or a virual thermostat.

The average of all the sensors will be set on either device

The only thing with a VStat is there will possibly be errors in the log saying that it cannot report ā€˜last deviceā€™ as my driver reports this and a VStat does not.
I canā€™t remember whether I made this switchable or not... if not, Iā€™ll get around to it when I get the chance.

EDIT: for future reference - The app automatically switches 'lastdevice' off if not using my driver.

Andy

Awesome, thanks! I'll check it out now.

That was me! I've been using it ever since with my virtual stat. Works perfectly

1 Like

Worked a treat! Sent a virtual pint via PP. Cheers Mate!

(How did I do on the English? Passable?) :wink:

1 Like

Thanks very much!

Not sure about the accent though :slight_smile:
Iā€™ve never found a yank yet who could talk ā€˜BBC Englishā€™. :smile:

Andy

1 Like

Geoff
I donā€™t remember, did I fix the ā€˜lastdeviceā€™ errors?

Andy

I don't see any such errors in logs for Average All nor the virtual device.

1 Like

Andy, I am actually still using 1.3.0 of your original Average Temperature app that you modified for me to use with a virtual stat.

I didn't update as your app got bigger and better. I was aware that my use of it was a bit niche and as it is vital for my home heating so on the basis that it was working perfectly, I've frozen it at 1.3.0. I get no errors at all.

Geoff
I'll look at making the 'lastDevice' switchable so you can upgrade as I'm no longer able to support the original app .

Andy

1 Like

Ok,
I'm updated the childapp code to check for the correct device driver and automatically NOT send the 'lastDevice' data if you are using anything other that the 'Average All' device driver.

Geoff you can now upgrade and not receive errors.
Obviously, for you this means installing Cobra Apps (if you haven't already) and the new version of the parent /child app

You could always do a backup before installation and restore if you are not happy with the new version.

Andy

Andy. I'm happy to stick with what I have at the moment if it doesn't cause you any problem. I've had so many issues recently (nothing to do with your apps) that I'm just happy to have a stable system at the moment. I'd be pushing my luck with SWMBO if I break anything again!

1 Like

Can someone please help me with this as above I'm trying to setup a virtual thermostat to use Average all temperature as its temperature reading? I have tried using Cobra app to update a virtual thermostat but with no success

I am looking for a Virtual Thermostat that I can have on a dashboard that I can change the temp as I want. I have devices for the temperature in the room and a switch to operate the heat. I have created the Vthermostat, but there isn't a template to add it to the dashboard, what else do I need to make this work? I want a way to adjust the temp from a dashboard.
Thanks in advance

Hi, I tried to register on your website but the captcha code never seems to match. I canā€™t be that dumb to get it incorrect a dozen or more times....can I???

It doesnā€™t like some browsers.

1 Like

Iā€™ll try using the laptop. On the iPad at the mo....

Worked first time using my crappy Windows laptop LOL