USB-C UPS designed by the community for Hubitat

They do offer this UPS model...

1 Like

It works while plugged in, meaning it passes power through to the hub (not all USB batteries do).

And when unplugged, it continues powering the hub without dropping a beat (also something that’s not ubiquitous, as seen above).

But any of these batteries need to be manually cycled (or you could automate if plugged into a smart outlet, or PoE) if you don’t want them to prematurely lose their charging capacity.

2 Likes

I’m hoping they’ll eventually release a model like that one with LiFePo instead of Li-ion.

3 Likes

Yeah, that would be better overall. Maybe a size/form factor issue - are LiFePo batteries larger to provide the same storage?

1 Like

I have a little Raspberry Pi running NUT Server to manage my UPS devices in my rack. It currently has this battery board attached to it:

Raspberry Pi 4 UPS Plus Power Supply Uninterrupted UPS HAT 18 650 Backup y Power Supply Management Expansion - Walmart.com

I was considering just powering the Hubitat from the USB-C output (up to 5V/4A), and telling hubitat to shut down when the Pi goes into battery mode.

Yes and lower voltage too. But they are far more durable and don’t mind being deep cycled over and over, or sitting at 90% SoC for years on end.

2 Likes

I don't suppose that anyone cares about the longevity of that Veek battery any more but it's been slightly more than a day and it's at 60%.

I think that's enough data on it for this topic and I'll be ending the test soon. :smiley:

Edit: foolish typo. I went to the device, saw it said 60%, marveled at my luck at catching it on a 10x number but by the time I got to typing, it became 80... 60% is the correct value after a day.

9 Likes

If you assume that the Hubitat draws a maximum of 1 amp ( 0.5 Amp is the most I’ve seen) and a UPS has say 10 Amp Hours capacity (10,000 mAh), then your minimum runtime is 10 hours at full draw, or more likely 20 hours at 0.5 amps.

One more datapoint. I have four of the Veek batteries and a larger 30000mAh variety. They all toggle the output 2-5 times when input power is lost. I use them for a wearable project and you can watch the lights strobe.

They are fantastic batteries, just not good as an uninterruptible power supply.

4 Likes

My aliexpress order fell through and instead ordered https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CK2MQ7D8?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
seems to work well and has a Lithium battery.

2 Likes

A recent conversation had me thinking about this thread. Just curious were this is at now.

1 Like

I did start working on this with @JohnRob but had to park it due to a run of health issues (getting older sucks!).

I’m going into hospital tomorrow for eye surgery (strabismus surgery on my right eye). Fun! :weary:

3 Likes

Oh man bummer. Hope the things go well for you course, and you'll soon be staring down your dogs over a t-bone. :grin:

1 Like

Cheers :+1: it’s to fix a congenital defect that prism lenses can no longer compensate for, so in pretty happy about it. It’s actual a pretty common surgery, and I have the best surgeon in Australia doing it. It’s costing me a small fortune, but I can’t drive ATM, so I’m actually looking forward to it.

3 Likes

That's great. And thank you for warning the rest of us that you'll be driving again soon, so we know to look over our shoulders and stay out of your way. :grin:

2 Likes

It looks like I’ll be working for an Australian bank in my next role, so no more US business trips for me, US road users can breath easy! :rofl:

5 Likes

Phew...I'll let everyone know. Hate sending out these emails to everyone in America, someone is bound to say "OK" in a Reply-All. :wink:

5 Likes

Ah.

Getting older really does stink sometimes. Wish you the best on the procedure and fast recovery.

3 Likes

Cheers, I’m looking forward to being able to see properly again. :+1:

5 Likes

OK

2 Likes