[UPDATED] - Weather Switch - Turn on a switch in response to weather

Wind seems to be working ok for me too :slight_smile:

Andy

False alarm. It's showing wind now!

1 Like

Excellent Device Driver btw! I am trying to force the driver to use a weather station that has Illuminance reporting. How would I do that?

IIRC in the zipcode field put

pws:WUNDERGROUNDID

example for my station Indian Mountain Lakes - Carbon County Weather | Personal Weather Station: KPAALBRI11 by Wunderground.com | Weather Underground you would put

pws:KPAALBRI11

You rock! Thank you!!

1 Like

Ok N00bie questions for you:

1. What is the Poll Interval Limit compared to the Auto Poll Interval?
  2. What is this? What should I be setting mine to for Chicago?
  3. With auto-polling I am not seeing the data being updated every 5 minutes like I have set.

Here is my config btw:

I was just wondering the same thing! I have mine set to 2, but I don't understand how it is used in logic. I noticed that illuminance hadn't updated since yesterday so took a look. Turns out the observation_time shows yesterday at 2:56 . Not sure if this is an issue with the driver not polling, or issue with the reporting station.

@aaron @DeveloperDavidB

There are a couple of things perhaps need to be explained :slight_smile:

1. Poll interval
    This is just a time span where you can hit the Poll button and it will poll
    If you set this to 2 minutes and hit the Poll button then it will poll WU. If you try to do it again then it will do nothing. After 2 minutes you can hit the button again and it will poll
    This is just for apps that might poll too often (and use up your free 500 polls)
    (I will probably remove this setting in a future release and internally set it to 2 mins)

2. New Day Starts
    This is because the free 500 polls gets reset at midnight every night... BUT...
    It’s midnight in New York (where WU are based.)
    So... just set this time to the local time when it’s midnight in NY
    (In my case... it’s 5:00am in the uk when it’s midnight in NY so mine would be set to 5:00am
    This is so we can reset the poll counter at the correct local time

3. If you are not seeing new polls happening every 5 minutes then try setting it to 10 minutes.For some reason WU doesn’t like the 5 min repeat sometimes.

4. If you don’t see the time for poll change on your webpage then refresh the page first.
    Some browsers don’t automatically refresh (even though the data has refreshed and correct polling has been taking place in the background)

I and others have had this running for a while and find that data is being refreshed all the time :slight_smile:

Andy

1 Like

Thank you for the explenation

I figured out why illuminance wasn't reporting. Nothing to do with the driver

1 Like

This could be the reason!
:blush:
:slight_smile:

Hello again, Andy. This morning's run has an anomaly in the calculation. Would you take a look (maybe I'm using American multiplication and that differs from British??) ?

Here are my settings:

Here is the log for last night:

My calculation (zero for yesterday and the day before):

(5 × .02) + (4 × .78) + (2 × 1.06) = 5.34
Today's Calculation = 5.24

I don't think rounding error would give that difference, but perhaps?

@CAL.hub
I can put some more temporary logging into the code to see what it is doing.
You are correct it doesnt seem to be adding today’s figure but the calculation does contain todays figure.
I can do this and we can see what is going on but unfortunately when you save it the previous figures will be wiped out.

Andy

Thx. Hoping for some rain today, so it would be a good time to test non-zero numbers.

@CAL.hub
Ha!
it looks like I had day 1 and day3 variables mixed up

Try this version and see if that works for you (I haven't had rain for a few days and find it'd difficult to test)

New Update:

Version: 1.3.0

Andy

Just for us weather geeks...getting our first thunder and lighting storm of the summer today. My new lighting detector is working! :smile: Wish it would update WU but Acurite doesn't send the data from this device yet (even though it's made by them).

3 Likes

Any plans to update this app to use the new ApiXU driver that @bangali wrote due to the WU upcoming API changes?

2 Likes

@halfrican.ak
I’m a bit tied up with the new weewx driver at the moment but yes, when I can get to it :slight_smile:

It depends what attributes he exposes in his driver.

Andy

1 Like

ping me if you need one of the attributes apixu sends but i am not publishing and i will update the driver to publish it.

1 Like

If the driver presents the same attribute as my original driver then I should not have to change the app at all.
It doesn’t care where the data is from, just that the driver sends the correct attributes and values.

Andy