[Updated] Super Tile - Icons have arrived! :)

Next release will be the countdown app & driver
Then I think I might have a rest for a while
(Unless I have lots of debugging to do) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I really don't see how it could be any easier, so you did a great job (as usual!!)

2 Likes

Thank you kind Sir :slight_smile:

I have just released Super Tile Countdown too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you need the http:// in front of your IP, I'm guessing each icon adds the entire URL into the tile quickly taking up the character limit so every character counts:(...
Overview%20Lights

Unfortunately yes.
If you are using externally hosted icons, you could probably use something like tiny.cc to shorten the urls

Andy

Is there any way to swap out a background image on a tile with a mode or switch change?

Not with super tile no.
Hubitat does not give us access to the underlying code for a tile.
Super Tile just β€˜hacks’ an attribute tile to present it’s data

Andy

Ok, thank you for the explanation. I hope this may be added to the core system then in the future. It would allow for some very cool effects (photos of devices, rooms etc changing)...

So if ones system is offline, what happens with the icons? Is there any way to reference the built in icons?

@DenverTech99
If you host the icons on a local web server (as I do) then you will still see them.
If the app cannot β€˜read’ the icons because they are on the internet then it will not display them if your hub has no internet connection.

Andy

I can find no license in your repository, nor associated with any apps. Without an explicit license but with statements about how people can use it, you're going to be legally held to whatever the people's interpretation of those statements are. This isn't what you want.

I've read what I've seen in the code, and it seems your desires are easily handled by multiple existing licenses out there. This will help you choose the license that allows what you want to allow while retaining all other rights: https://choosealicense.com/

@endorphin_junkie

As stated in the code header
http://hubitat.uk/software_License_Agreement.txt

Your license claims that downloading and using it makes you subject to the license, however I can download and use it without ever having the license made visible to me. Hidden in the source code which I don't have to read to install will never stand in court.

It has been (successfully) argued in court that the person didn't make the license visible according to common expectations (e.g. LICENSE.txt in the root of the repo) that overlooking it wasn't the user's fault. This wasn't the only argument, but the user did win against the claimant.

GitHub does explicitly say that putting it in LICENSE.txt at the root of the repo should be done, which strengthens any argument that the license wasn't visible to the user: Licensing a repository - GitHub Help

IMHO, YMMV, I've had to stand in court and argue these details and this is something a lawyer would have told you about. Seems like you're winging it, and that may not work out like you expect.

On the contrary, my Solicitor (An English equivalent to an American Lawyer) is happy with both the content and positioning of the agreement.
However; I take note about the prominence of the agreement and will speak to her regarding this and if necessary address it.

This would be nice if possible. I started hosting the pics on my internal server which works great via either the local or cloud links when I'm on my network or connected via VPN and will be available even if my internet is down. The downside to this is that the pics are not available on my cloud links when I'm not VPN connected.

Unfortunately, I have no way to access them

Okay that's good. Yeah, if you're in the UK you probably don't have to deal with the stupidity and nonsense of the US court system. Here, I've found that they put a lot of stock in expected and reasonable, even when they'd have no context to know what that is and end up getting that definition from the claimant (which somewhat defeats the point). Seen a lot of fools get away with nonsense by making claims about that. Found that if anyone can point to widely established standards, you'd want to be on the right side of those.

shrug

I like what you're doing, but the license doesn't give me any room to play around and make changes I could publish for others so there's really no benefit to invest any time adding more features to your implementation.

Indeed.

Andy

1 Like

Sound advice for US coders. I worked for a company that ran into this same issue.