Updated Firmware, Hub No Longer Accessible

Glad you're up and running.

From what I'm seeing it appears that at least in some cases the "failed" upgrades may be simply that the final reboot after the update is applied isn't happening. Simplest approach for others reading this thread may be to wait for the upgrade to complete, and if it sits for 15 to 20 minutes and doesn't finish, use the diagnostic menu (hub IP address:8081) to reboot the hub.

Tagging @bobbyd and @gopher.ny - some of the evidence for above is in the fact that some folks who've had a "failed" 2.2.5 upgrade have been able to use the diagnostic menu to restore 2.2.5. Can't restore what didn't get installed, right? :wink:

3 Likes

Glad to hear that you are back. Mind asking what do you mean by "hard reset"?

Thank you. And I used the wrong phrase - I meant full reset.

Oh no! This is the very reason we removed the Full Reset from the main interface of the Diagnostic Tool. Performing a Full Reset, is never a good idea for a hub that you plan to continue using.

Please follow below path from your local network to update the Diagnostic Tool:

yourHubIP/hub/cloud/updateDiagnosticTool (replace yourHubIP with actual IP address of your hub)

Please allow about 10 minutes for the new tool to install.

1 Like

Im having a similar issue, with a less positive outcome.

I did the update and waited ~30 minutes for the hub to come back and it never did.

I was able to access the menu in :8081 to do a reboot. After the reboot, I am unable to access any menus nor the hub itself in any way.

follow the rest of the steps.. you should get to the other side, same as quite a few others...

Fixed it finally,

My router decided to change the PI of my Hubitat so my old link to :8081 wasn't working.

Update worked after a revert + new try.

Thanks!

1 Like

I just had to Walk my parents through this same issue. I updated my c-7 last night with no issue. My mom tried to update theirs this morning and it never fully installed, so I thought. The hub would just sit with a blue light. The ip address was not reachable I could only get the ip:8081 diagnostic up but I could see the hub via the portal just not interact with it.
I had to sign in via Mac address to reboot the hub which it would not reboot.
I then restored back to last firmware which then got me back in the hub.
We then updated firmware from the settings menue via normal ip and it stuck at Applying update
I then had to go back in to diagnostic and reboot from that menue before the hub would finish the update

I think it seems like the update for whatever reason on done hubs is not able to final reboot

OK i will wait some days before update my hub.

I second that. One of my hubs hung after the upgrade process. Going to :8081 and doing a reboot was all that was necessary. It works now.

@bobbyD, @gopher.ny - FYI.

3 Likes

I encountered the same issue when I tried to go from 2.2.4 to 2.2.5.
Changing to port 8081 on the hub's IP address produced a dialog which allowed me to roll back to the previous version.
So, if your hub is on http://192.168.1.123 then you just change it to http://192.168.1.123:8081 and follow the instructions.

3 Likes

So the hub keep the same IP address
We Just Need ti access at the 8081 Port?
Other issues and soluzione?

Here are the steps to try;

• Go to http://your.hubs.ip.address:8081/
  • Reboot the hub from there, see if it comes up.
  • If not, go to http://your.hubs.ip.address:8081/ again, revert to previous version.
  • After it comes up, go to http://your.hubs.ip.address:8081/ yet again and "revert" to version 2.2.5.
  • It's possible that 2.2.5 is not showing as an option at this point. Use Download latest version to get it onto the hub. Doing so doesn't switch to the downloaded version, so once download is done, use revert option to switch.
  • If it still doesn't come up, revert to previous version and let us know. We'll have a fix shortly.

I have successfully updated all my hubs bar one C4 which is no longer accessible. On that the web UI and the :8081 tools are not responding even after several power cycles. The hub does show some Ethernet link lights and the IP of the hub is correct and follows any router assignment if I change it. The hub can be pinged but otherwise nothing and does not appear in the portal.

Is it now a drink coaster ?

Mine is stuck on applying update. How long do I need to give it before trying manual reboots etc. I wish I hadn't bothered with the update now...

If it's stuck for more than 10 minutes, it's definitely stuck. Steps above are the best bet to get it back and working.

It asks for the Mac address and password when I click reboot - I've never set a password?

The "password" is a MAC address on the underside of the hub. This is to prevent accidental actions more than anything.

Got there in the end:

• reboot didn't work
  • restored to previous version
  • reverted "back" to newer version which did show
  • now on 2.25.119

you maybe need a change of slogan "Hubitat - Elevate your blood pressure" :slight_smile: :laughing:

Yeah, mine too... There's only so much I can do about current update, but we'll certainly try to avoid that in the future.

2 Likes