[No longer maintained] Rheem EcoNet Integration

It works as-is for my gas water heater.

Update:The current (old) Hubitat driver does NOT work "as-is", at least not anymore. I just checked it again and it doesn't set the temperature like it used to.

1 Like

If you look around message 196 in this thread, you’ll see a few people (myself included) reported a repeating error message spamming the logs. Some folks seem to have solved it; others not so much. Mine was spamming 7x24 so I had to deactivate the app. Would love to get it working and am happy to be a beta tester if helpful. Appreciate your offer.

Mine seems to be working fine and has been since I got my water heater. I'd be interested in what @klinquist could do with it lol. Thanks in advance if you do.

1 Like

Me too, other than bug fixes and making sure it stays updated, not sure what additional features I could implement.

1 Like

@klinquist That would be plenty enough for me. I just installed the app for my heat pump water heater and it seems to be working well - no log spamming so far.

Ok, I can see some neat things I can add. Just got this packet over the Rheem MQTT device topic

{"AMBIENTT":55.034805,"LOHTRTMP":80.092857,"POWRWATT":407.436340,"SUCTIONT":37.653114,"DISCTEMP":109.266342,"I_RMSVAL":1.633244,"EXACTUAL":51.000000,"transactionId":"AUTOPOLL_2022-11-18T23:18:29.180Z_03"}

Ambient temp, lower tank temp sensor reading, power usage...
Don't k now what all the fields mean (yet)...

3 Likes

Oh, and it seems that I can't subscribe to my water heater's events
I can only subscribe to ALL water heater events. Then filter by my device mac address.

So that's right, folks - anyone with a Rheem account can get the real time status of all Rheem water heaters.

Trying to find an MQTT subscription topic for just my water heater.. don't want Hubitat hubs to have to filter.

1 Like

Jesus!

Thanks for the heads up on this. I was considering a Rheem hybrid water heater. Not anymore.

That's what I just got.. the big boy, 80gal hybrid.
It'll be nice to put it on 'vacation' mode when my airbnb is empty.

1 Like

I can tell you this... the Rheem app is maddening.
Right now, it's stuck in 'away' mode. Guided tour says tapping on the away icon will switch between home/away, when in reality it just goes into away settings where you configure geofences.

When in away mode, the app doesn't let you set the water heater mode and temps.

Trying to find the API to put it back into home mode.

1 Like

We just installed this one in our family cottage last summer. It's in the kitchen - 100+ year old cottage and the water heater (since one was added) has always been in the corner of the kitchen, so that's where we put the Rheem. :slight_smile: Stubborn traditionalists. One side benefit, on a hot summer day when it's running its exhaust fan cools off the kitchen nicely. :clap:

1 Like

I can't say for sure, but I do remember (or think I remember) changing between home and away from the app, but I'm on Android, and it's been months since I've used the app. We shut down our cottage from late fall until May, so nothing is up and running there now...

I'm considering getting a 50 gal hybrid to replace a 50 gal electric.

Actually, it is data shown below that drive this consideration. My electric 50 gallon heater costs about $250 a year to operate. Based on where I live (New Orleans), I anticipate that a hybrid water heater will run in heat-pump mode 90+% of the time, giving a saving of about $150 a year.

And have the added benefit of making my attic a little cooler, which in turn may keep the upstairs of my townhome a little cooler.

So I think I'll recover the cost of the heater in 10 years or less.

1 Like

We like our very much, but they are crazy expensive...my dad said "I bought my first three cars for less than that!" :wink:

The build quality does seem to be good. The cooling effect it running is a nice side-effect.

1 Like

About twice the price of a regular electric.

For example, a Rheem Gladiator 50-gal electric heater with a 12 year warranty is ~$800.

The comparable Rheem hybrid is $1700.

So the cost to recover is about $800-900.

2 Likes

Well, I've made some changes.

When you put the water heater into 'vacation' mode, it automatically puts the water heater's location into away mode.

If you try to put the water heater back into any of the other modes from vacation mode, it'll fail because it's in away mode.

So I made changes that say "if you put it into vacation mode, put it in away mode first, then wait 15 seconds. If you put it into anything but vacation mode, put it in home mode first, then wait 15 seconds"

(I tried with 5 seconds and received the same error. Yay for shitty distributed system APIs!)

So I suppose I'll fork this repo, check in my changes, and figure out how to publish it into HPM :).

1 Like

44 posts were split to a new topic: Rheem EcoNet Integration maintained by Kris Linquist

Can we get a new thread for this app? It's confusing. It makes it look like dman is the new developer when he's not. I knew that. So when I search for Rheem and saw this thread I then spent another several minutes trying to find a newer thread, but one does not seem to exist.

So I propose

1. A new thread by @klinquist
  2. Maybe @bobbyD can close this thread and modify the title to say [not maintained] and edit a link to the thread in point 1 into the post.
2 Likes

Thanks @waterboysh good idea! Thread moved here: Rheem EcoNet Integration maintained by Kris Linquist

3 Likes