[Release] - an app for AI camera/webcam motion/object detection/recognition (motion, person, pet, vehicle, face using tinyCam)

I noticed that in the driver it mentions TinyCam is available for PC -- but I can't find the download on the official site. Is this a mistake?

I think that's a mistake. Sorry about that. I recall someone used the app to get their Blue Iris integration working along similar lines (since at the end of the day this is just an app to decode a webhook and control virtual motion sensors accordingly). That system is definitely available on PC.

[UPDATE] - I edited the code segments above to indicate that tinyCam is an Android​ app only. Sorry for any confusion.

Curious about the Blue Iris thing -- if that doesn't pan out, I guess I can just run an Android VM. Most apps don't run well on x86 android, so I'd have to do an emulator. If/when I get around to testing that, I'll report back.

Sure, I just use one of my Android​ ​tablets I use as a dashboard to run tinyCam. It works pretty good. But I think when I get a fast home PC for games etc in the months ahead, I shall probably switch my setup to Blue Iris running on a PC.

So I think my cheap ESP32cam units can do motion and face detection, with the right code. I'd be interested in using this driver to connect it all. I was going to use mine for an omni-directional dash cam, but honestly the quality and frame-rate aren't that great. This might be the perfect use for these incredibly-cheap devices.

The solution above doesn't rely on any in-camera object or motion detection. You link your cameras (even dumb ones) to tinyCam and it provides the motion and AI object detection capabilities. The HE app takes webhooks triggered by tinyCam and activates virtual motion sensors in HE.

Ah yes, but my point is that perhaps tinycam can be completely avoided in this case. Though worst-case, these $5 wifi camera boards will stream to tinycam.

If you're looking for a good AI program to run on a computer you might want to check out OnGuard.

It's still being developed, but it works well. I've been using it for a few months now and I like what I'm seeing. It also supports MQTT and browser based triggers so integration with Hubitat is possible via Maker API.

3 Likes

Nice! A project for a gloomy weekend :slight_smile:

Decided to have a try of tinycam, no issues with leaving a phone plugged into the charger all the time?

The battery will eventually get killed quicker than if it was stored at ~40% charge. If you don't care about a dead/dying battery, it's no problem. I'm doing this:

1 Like

Thanks for the link - been a while since I made a new task - time for a new project!

@Angus_M Thanks you for creating this App it works wonderfully. I have been using this TCPro for about three years and it just gets better with each release. I run this on an old Google Pixel C tablet running Lineage OS 18.1 along with fully kiosk integrated with Hubitat & Synology SurveillanceStation. TCPro transcoding an H264 feed via rtsp from synology to a dashboard tile. Hubitat monitors TCPro motion and recognition engine now thanks to your hard work, announcing if there is a car, person or animal approaching the front drive. I recently discovered Telegram integration on TCPro and now get notifications on mobile when out in the backyard or around the pool.
Great work much appreciated, HE platform exceeds my expectations when compared to my years on ST. You've got me thinking now about cameras as presence sensor for keeping the lights on.

1 Like

So glad it's useful for you. I find what's possible with HE and apps such as this amazing too. I'm using person and face detection in our living room to keep the lights on and it works perfectly. Enjoy!

@Angus_M what's its hpm name?

not in hpm but found them here

1 Like

Not sure who it was but I just received a PayPal donation for this app! Amazing and Thank You! I've never earned anything from my technology dabblings over the years so it was a shock and exciting at the same time. Now I'm off to enjoy my free beer! :smiley: :beers: :+1:

3 Likes

I dont understand how to get the tiny cam connector child instances to show up.
There is no child app; just the tiny cam connector.

Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

Yeah, there is. Check above.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.