Update firmware Zen26

I need to update the firmware in my Zen26 and Zen27 switches. I was given a link to a page that has directions however I am unable to find out how to change the driver to Z-Wave Firmware Updater. When I look at the list of drivers this driver does not show in the list.

You need to install the Updater driver manually.

Located here:

3 Likes

Also, please be aware that firmware updates have factory reset every single Zooz switch I have (Zen21, Zen22, Zen27, Zen30).

If you do not want your automations to break or run into massive zwave network issues, I strongly recommend you follow these steps:

1. Replace each Zooz switch (whose firmware you plan to update) in your automations with a placeholder virtual switch.
  2. Perform the firmware update - this will take a while. And, you can only do this on one switch at a time.
  3. If the switch factory resets at the end of the update, then exclude the switch before doing a force remove from the device page.
  4. Z-wave Include the switch, and then replace the virtual placeholder switch with the newly included switch.

Not doing step 3 will result in creating stranded z-wave devices that will wreak havoc on your z-wave network.

3 Likes

Will the switch need to be replaced in each automation one by one? That sounds very tedious if it's the case

Yup. There is no "global" way to do it.

The key point though is preventing the creation of a stranded z-wave device.

At worst, corrupted automations can be deleted and re-created, which really isn't that big a deal. OTOH, stranded z-wave devices can really cripple a z-wave network (personal experience while I was beta-testing @bcopeland's z-wave firmware updater). And it took me a few days to sort it all out.

1 Like

I installed the Z-wave firmware updater and started to update the firmware. It is now over an hour and the status shows: "firmwareUpdateProgress: Complete device is flashing..." and the currentFirmwareVersion still shows 2.1 when I am installing 3.0. It has been over an hour. Any thoughts as to the issue?

It's done and has factory reset. If you change drivers back to the original, you'll find that you cannot control the switch. So proceed with step 3 from the instructions above.

I know you've mentioned this issue before. How do you tell if there are any stranded devices? I have some z-wave (not plus) locks that are misbehaving and I wonder if this is the issue.

No easy way unless you have a secondary z-wave controller (like PC controller or z-wave toolbox). Then you'll start seeing nodes on the secondary contorller that don't show up in your list of z-wave devices (on the Hubitat).

1 Like

I followed step 3 by excluding the device then removing the device. Now I cannot add it back, when I try to add it back HE does not find the switch.

Try this first:

1. Do a shutdown and then disconnect power from the HE for 30s. Power it up again and then try pairing.

2. If that doesn’t work, bring the HE close to the switch and try pairing. I had to do that for a Zen30 recently.

I was finally able to get it to work but first had to do a factory reset on the switch.

1 Like

Yes, @agnes.zooz has told me a couple times that a factory reset should be done after any firmware update for their switches/dimmers.

Question about point 3. I have a few Zooz devices I've updated. After updating they are always completely unresponsive. The exclude never works because Hubitat never receives it, so I've force removed them from Hubitat and then factory reset the switch. I ordered several Zooz devices during the Labor Day sale.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.