Unreliable Automation

I have written this automation several ways using basic to more complicated rules, yet cannot get it to run consistently and quickly:

I am using a Ring contact sensor to trigger a Zooz switch to turn on or off the light in my bedroom closet. -About as simple an automation as they come!

The sensor triggers, but the switch frequently fails to react or react in real time.

I'm wondering whether I should exclude and re-include the switch? Is this a mesh issue?

Funny, but the closet is next to my master bathroom where I have a motion sensor that sometimes triggers when I'm opening the BR closet. That automation is veey reliable. The 2 switches are just a couple feet apart.

First step that comes to mind is to enable logging for the rule and review those to see what's going on. You need to figure out if the rule is failing to send the commands like you expect or if the switch is actually missing them.

You can also check the "events" section from the device page, but you'll need to correlate the event timestamps yourself.

1 Like

I have logging turned on, but no events are recorded. This is a common issue with my Rule Machine app.

Can you post a screenshot of the rule?

This is a sign of a z-wave mesh that is poorly functional. You should post a screenshot of your z-wave settings page. Also make sure that the hub's z-wave firmware is up-to-date.

2 Likes

I just updated the firmware, but your right. Half of the nodes repeatedly failed when I ran the repair app.

A lot of devices are listed with a repair button, but nothing actually gets repaired when I click.

How do I rebuild the MESH?

Screen shot your z-wave page to start with post the whole lot.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.