Universal Lock Sharing App

I have a MyQ garage door opener and an August lock. They work fine but my mother in law and housekeeper who are both less technical than your average bear are constantly confused about which app to open in order to unlock/open which door.

Is there any “universal” sharing app that includes basic security such as schedules so that I can grant these two people access to use only those two devices but can do so from within a single easy to use interface?

HomeKit and Google both essentially grant access to everything. Amazon Key did exactly that but door locks seem deprecated and now it is focused only on garage doors.

In the fantasy world, this app would just be a front end to the various open popular hubs.

One user made an app called lockshare here in the forums about a year ago, but Android only…

Thoughts? Suggestions? Creative workarounds?

Not an app but worth checking out. Do you have a hubitat hub?

1 Like

Yes I have a Hubitat hub. How would that app you linked help?

Sharptools is a dashboard.

If these devices are linked to your Hubitat hub, create a dashboard with tiles for those devices, and save a link to the dashboard on each phone’s Home Screen.

That could work with either the built-in dashboards or third-party dashboards like sharptools.

Would a physical keypad work? August has one you could use (don't know how it integrates into HE though). Also you might be able to do something with the Ring Keypad..

https://www.amazon.com/Ring-Alarm-Keypad/dp/B07ZB2DFMB/

You could also sync the devices so unlocking/opening one opens/unlocks the other.. then you'd use only need one app.

edit: this assumes both setups are integrated into HE. You could just have the garage device unlock the door..

1 Like

I have a couple of those but not sure those would hold up outside. Since the myQ is garage door (and the interior August lock is just inside) I’d have to put that keypad outdoors.

The August smart keypad appears to be for outdoors..

https://www.amazon.com/August-AK-R1-Smart-Keypad/dp/B015SLMR1U/

So it would unlock the August lock and HE would detect this and open the garage?

1 Like

If using a lock code manager that sends which code was used, you could also have it do different tasks based on the code. Visitors can be given separate codes and unlock gate/doors, but not open garage if not needed.

1 Like

It was easier for me to give my Mom a code for the exterior keypad than to use an app. I just used her birthday, so an easy to remember number. Same for my Schlage locks that have a keypad.

You could use the Chamberlain keypad which IS weatherproof to get her in the garage, then a second keypad like the Ring inside. The Chamberlain keypad pairs like any other garage remote and is inexpensive. You also could give her a garage remote, or even program her car (if it has Homelink) to open your garage. Admittedly these aren't smart or app driven methods, but sometimes an app is just too much and an easier way is justified.

I hate to also suggest this as it isn't perfectly reliable or secure. You could have a rule "if garage door open AND mom's presence sensor = present, unlock the inside door". You could give her a physical presence sensor, use the phone as one, or for better reliability use both.

1 Like

Weatherproof keypad cover

https://www.amazon.com/Arlington-DBK55C-1-Weatherproof-Non-Metallic-Thermostat/dp/B00AAU5D70/

Instead of an app - I was wondering if there is a web version or a magic URL equivalent that one could use? For example if we want to share this with our cleaner, and not worrying about her mobile phone or her wanting to install any apps - can there be a web link that one can use to lock and unlock?

Thanks.