Unfortunately, hue just works better

I replaced my Sengled with Inner and am finding the Innr much better, and much more stable using the advanced zigbee bulb driver.

Unfortunately Hue is priced out of consideration from the start.

I agree that Hue is worth the extra $$$. I have also had luck with lesser bulbs (ZLL only) connected to the Hue bridge. Heck I even have a bunch of Cree bulbs and THEY work well on the Hue hub. I don't think the hue hub supports the power state functionality with anything but Hue bulbs, though.

U know any color bulbs that are compatible?

Ikea color bulbs but no power state.

These are not compatible when included directly with Hubitat.

Sorry, I thought he's talking about the Hue bridge.

I was, thx

Do note that, unless Ikea has new firmwre that behaves differently, these still don't work well over the Hue Bridge to Hubitat. The reason (and the same reason they don't work when directly paired, at least with stock drivers--maybe the "Advanced" ones now do?) is that they only implement the CIE xy color model, not the hue/saturation model Hubitat uses. I forget if they implement CT or expect that to also be done over xy color, but I'm thinking they do that over xy, too. But basically, any color (and possibly color temperature) command from Hubitat will have trouble with these, as will the reporting/parsing of states back into Hubitat. On/off and dimming would still work. The Hue Bridge does not abstract away the underlying color model.

For cheaper, color-capable Hue Bridge bulbs, I've tested Innr and they seem to work fine. If they are still available, I'd probably recommend those over Ikea unless anything has changed. If you don't really need color, you can save a lot of money by going with color-temperature only bulbs, which Hue calls "White Ambiance" (not to be confused with the full color plus CT "White and Color Ambiance" or their whtie-only "White" lines). Even the Hue CT bulbs are almost reasonably priced, and you get all Hue features. :slight_smile: And, of course, if just white is OK, lots of third-party white-only bulbs work fine too (I also have a few Crees), but Hue bulbs are priced about the same as most others I can find with this featureset.

1 Like

I’m trying these tonight, I’ll let u know how it goes

I have an Ecosmart that looks a lot like that, possibly the same one (though it was packaged differently). It pairs fine to the Hue Bridge and works as expected over that to Hubitat, as well. There are some odd things, like they don't like to turn directly on to super-dim levels (they'll get there but ramp down from a brighter appearance; some have guessed this is due to cheap electronics in the bulb). Not uncommon with cheap bulbs...usually some tradeoff somewhere. :slight_smile: It's been solid for me in terms of responding as expected on my Hue network.

Do note that this is a color temperature (CT) bulb, not a full color bulb, so again similar to Hue's "White Ambiance" lineup--except that Ecosmart is at a crazily low price, cheaper than most dumb LED bulbs I've seen, and for two at that!

4 Likes

Thanks

I want to report they seem to work as good as hue and turn on to dim level 1
Actually they dim smoother than hue and dimmer

Do you have the EcoSmart bulbs paired directly to Hubitat? Or are they connected via the Hue bridge?

Hue bridge

1 Like

I use these bulbs in my bathroom vanities. They’re the best deal around, but you also get what you pay for. They also work much better paired to Hue than directly to Hubitat.

The biggest issue when paired to Hubitat was that if the bulbs were off, you couldn’t adjust color temperature while turning them on. I had to use rules to resend commands, or they would just turn on at the previous color temperature. They were also really prone to occasionally missing commands. My main bath has 6 vanity bulbs, and it was very common for 1 or 2 of them to miss a command and get out of sync with the rest of the group. Group messaging did not help with this. The only way I was able to solve this was by using Hue Scenes. Even with that, I still have an issue with 1 or 2 of the bulbs becoming non-responsive each week, which can only be fixed by power cycling.

They’re so cheap that I’m willing to put up with the inconsistencies, though.

Also, it’s true that if you turn them at very low brightness, they are flakey. I have a nightlight setting on the vanities where one bulb turns on at 1%. It works 98% of the time, but it takes about 5-10 seconds to light up.

Now that u mentioned it, mine too

I have a completely different experience with those Ecosmart Zigbee bulbs. I have about 20 in different bathrooms and our Play Room and they work extremely well and never miss. Other devices love to repeat thru them as well. I never have a need to push below 25% brightness though.

All of the highlighted devices are those bulbs. Usually that list is longer with more devices using them as repeaters.

I’m using them connected to hue and a pico. Night light dim has a 1.5 sec delay