Unexpected Error in Rules Machine

Anyone else been getting more errors than usual in rule machine lately?

I had a rule working the way I wanted. After I added actions to it, it started giving the error message below when I tried to go back into it. I've encountered similar errors several times lately on my C8. The only workaround I've found so far is to recreate the rule from scratch.

I'm not sure if this is related, but I've also noticed. that sometimes when I add actions, they will show up on the list as broken instead of allowing me to chose options for them. When I delete the broken action and try re-adding, it works as expected.

Unexpected Error

An unexpected error has occurred trying to load the app. Check Logs for more information.

Error: Cannot get property 'cond' on null object

Assuming you are using Rule Machine, but regardless, what version of the rules App are you using, whichever one it is?

Also, are you able to provide some more information about the kinds of Actions you are trying to add to your rules, e.g. the kinds of devices involved or any other details about logic being used, etc. Perhaps the next time this happens and you are trying to add a rule, try taking some screenshots as you go?

Yes, I'm using rule machine 5.1. I just fixed the title of the post. I still have the broken rule. I can share info from that and from the recreated one, I just wasn't sure what info would be useful. Here's some info. I can share more in a private message if needed

The rule is for controlling a smart switch that is connected to a smart bulb and it is triggered when the variable called "Front Light" is changed. It keeps the switch on all the time and then sets the bulb to be on or off. Pressing the switch is one of the things that changes the variable. If the off button is pressed, this rule will turn the switch back on and then turn the bulb off.

The original rule had logic at the end that would check to see if everything was in the right state and the rule was working at that point. I went back in to move that logic from the end. The two circled areas show where I moved it to. The rule broke after that change.

• The second line about the variable "InitialState" does not belong there. Its something from another rule that I accidentally put in as I was trying to recreate this one from memory
  • Another difference is that the broken version had several comments in it
  • Before the first rule broke, I moved actions and conditions up and down, copied and pasted actions and conditions, and edited conditions. I have not been able to narrow down what makes rules break like this, but I suspect those things might be related

See this: Known Issues in Release 2.3.5.113

1 Like

Ah, thank you. I missed that. Looking forward to the fix. If any of the info I have would be useful, let me know and I can send it

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.