Underwhelmed and Overwhelmed (I couldn't look at Underwelmed any longer) all Welcomed

+1 to that ... multi factor authentication when possible and then use of a password manager/password generator when not == is a must ... after that turn on security in the hub + make sure your router has its firewall turned on and if you have the money go buy a firewall ( there are a few good consumer grade systems out there ) .... most of this is just good practice vs Hubitat specific + are the basics

1 Like

I've used the openvpn capability of my Asus Router and the app on phone and it works nice.

2 Likes

A super easy dashboard editor is being worked on that has mush better sized tiles. Below is my cell phone dash and my main iPad dash, made with the new Smartly editor. I believe it is being released soon, but if you search you can find the beta if interested

EDIT: If anyone is interested in testing out the beta Smartly editor, PM me or @spelcheck for details.

5 Likes

That looks waaaay better

For sure if anybody has time to test and provide feedback, definitely PM one of us. We're tackling a few of the biggest wants for HE dashboard, namely a modern foundation design, skins, title replacement, label adds to image and video tiles, custom icons per tile per state using most recent material design icons pack. Lastly tile width calibration per device on a single dashboard.

6 Likes

Another thing to add to the tarnish of what could be a great product. Bad patching.

Release 2.1.9 Available

This one borked my groups... so now I have to rebuild much of the stuff I've created so far.

Suddenly Inconsistent

Would love to see just a bit more polish and reliability here HE.

Nope, not possible. There were no changes to that app...

@mike.maxwell You have an alternative root cause or suggestions for finding one?

It is pretty clear from your other thread that you have a mesh issue. If you want to post a list of devices in use on that thread, there’s a lot us who would like to help.

I’ve never seen a hub update destroy a mesh. A bad device, or not enough repeaters, absolutely.

You mentioned that you shut your hub off for several hours. You do know that when you do this, it can take 24-48 hours for your mesh to rebuild.

4 Likes

Is this true for both z-wave and zigbee?

Free or paid? If paid, what cost?

Yes

Eh, it is a lot less true of zigbee than zwave...

1 Like

True. Closer to 24 or less for Zigbee.

Free.

1 Like

Will be interesting to see it when ready! Paid wouldn't necessarily have been a deal breaker either - depends on features and where it runs (local/cloud).

Think of it more like a easy way to customize they current dashboard app, instead of a separate app. It is an online way to edit/enhence the current app via JSON and CSS edits. I am not a coder so you would need to ask some of the other members of the test team for details. Your welcome to join the testing team. If interested pm me.

1 Like

Ah cool. Thanks for the additional info.

Not for Z-Wave.. With Z-Wave you run a network repair, which will take an amount of time proportional to the number of devices you have. When the repair is done, the network is rebuilt. (As a rule you should run repair 2-3x) Unlike Zigbee, Z-Wave isn't self-healing/self-routing (technically discovery frames kind of implement this), so when the repair process says it is done, it's done.

Zigbee much more dynamic. There's no repair process that you can run on the hub. It's self-healing/self-routing. How long it takes for a Zigbee mesh to recover following a shutdown of the hub is again fully dependent on the quantity and type of devices on the network, if the Zigbee channel changed, and even how long the hub was offline.

The official guidelines I've seen suggest 24-48 hours.. But the reality is, the network is usually fully functional within the first few minutes bringing the hub back online, but there will be a lot of background traffic as route discovery between nodes takes place. This is the process that can take a day or more to finally settle down.

2 Likes

Correct. Z-Wave repair/heal/optimize (whatever the chosen vendor is calling it) initiates the neighbor discovery and update to rebuild the routing table on the primary controller.

Z-Wave Plus is a self-healing environment that uses explorer frames as a last resort when a node is not in the route table received from the controller. This will slowly rebuilt the routing table if a heal is not performed. Explorer frames are only within Z-Wave Plus and if it's a mixed mesh of non Plus devices this will not work correctly.

It's always best after a remove of a device to run a heal/repair/optimize to rebuild the routes. It's not absolutely necessary after adding a new device and should never be necessary just because of a hub reboot/shutdown as the routes are the same and did not change just because the hub was rebooted/shutdown.

1 Like