[BETA] Hubitat Package Manager

Thanks Bruce, honestly I do understand that. I just see other platforms providing an easy Marketplace of sorts to provision community add-ons, whilst also being clear that there are no endorsements or guarantees provided. I personally feel that is possible, but I don't begrudge you or the team feeling otherwise.

@csteele Ha sorry bud, glad you're willing to take it over. I just felt that the experience for new users would be improved if user packages were searchable out of the box, without having to find the right app to copy the code in. It would lower the entry requirement for newbies, but as said above, I do understand Bruce and the teams position, I just feel that it should be possible without them having to accept all the liability. Even an agreement that has to be accepted before any user code can be installed on a hub might cover it, but there might be other legal gotchas I'm not familiar with.

1 Like

As sorry as I am? :smiley:

I think I'll mention that the "Fast Search" is implemented via a cron job that follows every link in the Master Manifest and gathers the keywords for search HOURLY and stuffs it in a database. Dominic has to tweek the Azure code to include new manifests, which could be an overnight delay.

There are currently 107 items in the Master Manifest resulting in 443 packages. I see there are 7 pull requests to his Master and I'll look at integrating them to mine tomorrow.

12 Likes

Thank you @csteele for keeping HPM going! If you have a donations link somewhere, please advise - I'd happily chip in a few bones.

12 Likes

I humbly suggest that you create a new thread and link back to this (the "beta" thread) in the first post. That way you can update the first post.

8 Likes

I too saw the writing on the wall when he wrote that "moving on" post. The thought of losing the only way to easily install apps/drivers really made me start thinking. So I went to work, creating a way to work with Bundles instead of separate 'parent apps/child apps/drivers/libraries'. I just about have my 'Bundle Manager' ready to launch.

I look forward to where @csteele will take HPM in the future and wish @dman2306 all the best. We are all grateful for the many things he brought to this community. Hopefully he'll come back at some point! :grin:

16 Likes

Like this?

17 Likes

dumb question.. i searched cannot find anything on "modify a repository"

If i want to add a new package to my existing repository file?

Do i just modify it on my github or do i need to do something with a pull request..

thanks in advance.

Just modify it on GitHub

2 Likes

It's only when the Master Manifest is altered that a pull request is needed. The Master Manifest points to YOUR manifest(s) -- typically an Intermediate and then to Package Manifests. Both of those should be under your direct control. Alter at will. But expect it to take an hour for the automated tasks to detect your edit.

4 Likes

Hoping somebody can assist. I just updated HPM and get the below error. It happend on 2 of my hubs that I updated. Any ideas?

run repair on HPM

1 Like

I did that and all seems fine, am I good then?

1 Like

Yes, I just updated my first reply with link to HPM update issues.

What version is it supposed to show? Mine still shows 1.8.3. I thought there was a newer version?

Actually looks like we are waiting for 1.8.4 according to the other thread.

2 Likes
2 Likes

What version am I supposed to be on? I am currently on 1.8.3 after the update, is that correct?

Mine updated correctly yet still shows 1.8.3 ?

@csteele Is this just a bug or what?

I would like to take a moment to thank @dman2306 for his awesome contributions that he has made over the years to the Hubitat community. We are wishing him the best of luck in the next chapters of his automated home. He will surely be missed!

The Hubitat Package Manager app will continue to grow with the help of this community as @csteele so graciously volunteered to look after the app. Please see the following thread for more details:

21 Likes