Unable to trigger Multiple conditions

Hi All,

I seems to be having a hard time to either understand the expression within hub when trying to set multiple conditions.
my aim is to set the following conditions before turning my kids light on.

1. If time is 21:25 AND if days are all 7 days AND sunset.

Below is how far I got

On the Select Actions to Run, I can't seems to set IF time is Sunset TRUE.
It seems the only 2 options I could set is either

• IF Time is sunset False OR

• IF NOT Time is sunset TRUE.

Which to my simple mind, both are the same thing.

Please help. thanks

I think your problem is that sunset and the time of 21:35 will never be at the same time. So when the rule runs at 21:35 it will check if sunset is true and it will never be so it won't turn the light on. Maybe change it to between two times like between sunset and sunrise.

1 Like

You could have used the Simple Lighting App. However if you are learning RM4 you have chosen a good place to start.

A key here is the disassociation between Trigger and Conditions/Actions.
Once the trigger condition is reached. The controller runs the "Select Actions to Run" code. There is no memory that the trigger was true.

Because of your trigger, the below code runs once every time it's 21:35

IF (Time is Sunset) THEN  <-- This will always be FALSE unless Sunset is at 21:35 hours
    On: Kids Star Light
End-IF

Carl's suggestion is valid and will turn the lights on at 21:35.

You could also use:

Select Trigger Events
   When time is 21:35

IF (Time is 21:35) THEN
End-If

You can also add a turn off command:

Select Trigger Events
   When time is 21:35
  OR
   When time is 3:00

IF (Time is 21:35) THEN
ELSE-IF (Time is 3:00)
    Off: Kids Star Light
End-If

Note: the Green "True" and Orange "False" is just the Hub telling you the current condition of the condition you have entered.

2 Likes

Oh wow! didn't expect to get these many responses! I love Hubitat Community! Thanks guys!
Thanks for your suggestions.

I've been thinking about what I wanted to do initially, and I think it's rather confusing to the logic and won't work. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thanks again for your suggestions.

I find it best to write down what i want to have happen before I even open the Hubitat UI, This is true for nearly every coding language and platform.
Very often when I start to "flow chart" my desired rule I find there is a flaw in my logic that needs to be addressed. These are usually simple but helps if sorted out before you start with the UI.

John

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.