Unable to run driver Action

Exactly! I thought you were asking questions about why you had to delete and re-enter rules. But you know that answer because you have 25+ years experience. That means you're looking for something deeper. That's not what I signed on for, when replying to your initial post.

Not knowing anything about the underlying platform, if someone had advice about how to deal with it I'd gladly accept it.

Knowing of HTML, asynchronous javascript, websockets, et al doesn't explain why changing focus between selections on the screen causes rule corruption. There are many HTML interfaces which don't have that problem, including a few I've designed which are even more dynamic than the Hubitat UI. (and I really don't do front-end UI work often) I don't feel that this is an unavoidable limitation of using HTML or any of the technologies that are used to make it dynamic (AJAX calls, websockets, etc).

But unless @bravenel or @chuck.schwer want to share a bit about the backing framework being used, there's not much I could contribute.

Just had the same error when I went into make a change to a rule that I have had running for a long time.
Luckily it's a short rule but still annoying.