Unable to remove z-wave device on C-7

Thanks! As mentioned, I somehow managed to get a 'Remove' button to materialize, and finally helped me remove the device without having to reset :slight_smile:
The plug works, rudimentary at best when included. It should have S2_Auth, but is added without any security. On/off works, as do some values, but it is purely by chance, since I have to use drivers for other devices... :slight_smile:

1 Like

Missed that...good to hear. :slight_smile:

Hopefully in the future a driver (official or community) will be available.

1 Like

Hi everybody,
Trying to migrate one of my old C4 to C7 following @bravenel method but I'm getting ghost devices. I can see the "remove" button but it won't let me remove them. Since those appeared, I can't have any zwave device rejoin the hub.

  • tried powering it down and pull the plug - no difference
  • clicking remove does nothing except refresh the page...
  • those 2 ghost devices have no name (except for a "discover" button instead) and don't appear anywhere else but in zwave details.
  • repair does nothing beside telling me it can't ping the device.

How do I remove devices when the remove button won't do it ?? More importantly, how do I get my hub to finally accept ANY new zwave device ????

What message is the remove showing in the log?

in the zwave logs I get this:

[18](http://192.168.10.87/hub/zwaveLogs#zwaveRx18)2021-05-23 18:45:50.907 seqNo: 98, routeChanged: false, transmissionTime: 0ms, repeaters: None, speed: Unknown, rssi: [0 dBm, 0 dBm, 0 dBm, 0 dBm, 0 dBm], Ack channel: 0, Transmit channel: 0

[18](http://192.168.10.87/hub/zwaveLogs#zwaveRx18)2021-05-23 18:45:50.905 seqNo: 98, routeChanged: false, transmissionTime: 0ms, repeaters: None, speed: Unknown, rssi: [0 dBm, 0 dBm, 0 dBm, 0 dBm, 0 dBm], Ack channel: 0, Transmit channel: 0

[18](http://192.168.10.87/hub/zwaveLogs#zwaveRx18)2021-05-23 18:45:50.901 seqNo: 97, routeChanged: false, transmissionTime: 0ms, repeaters: None, speed: Unknown, rssi: [0 dBm, 0 dBm, 0 dBm, 0 dBm, 0 dBm], Ack channel: 0, Transmit channel: 0

[18](http://192.168.10.87/hub/zwaveLogs#zwaveRx18)2021-05-23 18:45:50.508 seqNo: 94, routeChanged: false, transmissionTime: 0ms, repeaters: None, speed: Unknown, rssi: [0 dBm, 0 dBm, 0 dBm, 0 dBm, 0 dBm], Ack channel: 0, Transmit channel: 0

[18](http://192.168.10.87/hub/zwaveLogs#zwaveRx18)2021-05-23 18:45:50.507 seqNo: 92, routeChanged: false, transmissionTime: 0ms, repeaters: None, speed: Unknown, rssi: [0 dBm, 0 dBm, 0 dBm, 0 dBm, 0 dBm], Ack channel: 0, Transmit channel: 0

[17](http://192.168.10.87/hub/zwaveLogs#zwaveRx17)2021-05-23 18:45:50.505 seqNo: 96, routeChanged: false, transmissionTime: 0ms, repeaters: None, speed: Unknown, rssi: [0 dBm, 0 dBm, 0 dBm, 0 dBm, 0 dBm], Ack channel: 0, Transmit channel: 0

[17](http://192.168.10.87/hub/zwaveLogs#zwaveRx17)2021-05-23 18:45:50.504 seqNo: 93, routeChanged: false, transmissionTime: 0ms, repeaters: None, speed: Unknown, rssi: [0 dBm, 0 dBm, 0 dBm, 0 dBm, 0 dBm], Ack channel: 0, Transmit channel: 0

[18](http://192.168.10.87/hub/zwaveLogs#zwaveRx18)2021-05-23 18:45:50.500 seqNo: 91, routeChanged: false, transmissionTime: 0ms, repeaters: None, speed: Unknown, rssi: [0 dBm, 0 dBm, 0 dBm, 0 dBm, 0 dBm], Ack channel: 0, Transmit channel: 0

Not the Z-Wave logs.. The normal logs.. It should print “Failed node remove status: x”

Sorry, I thought you refered to the zwave logs since nothing appears in the logs when I press the remove button. I'm talking about the remove button that shows in the zwave details.

Ahh.. Are you not on the latest 2.2.7 release? In the last build I added this log

Yes I am. Sorry, sorry, sorry , keyword search showed this in the logs (lost within tons of other logs)

Failed node 18 remove status: 2
Failed node 17 remove status: 2

the 2 ghost devices are nodes 17 and 18 so I supposed this is the log you referred to

Failed node remove status 2 means the device responded to a NOP and is actually online, so the SDK refused to remove it..

Ok, so I should exlude it I suppose ? How do I find its ID to know which one it is ? I don't see any DNI column in the zwave details and can't see it in my list of devices...

Yes.. Unfortunately there is no easy way to identify it while in this state.. If it changes back to OK after a refresh, you could try discover..

Is the fact that my hub won't find any new zwave device that I try to pair related to this, you think ?

It's likely.. You might want to start by powering down the hub to reset the z-wave radio..

Just dit that, still no way to remove the device or ID it, though. Shows "OK" but that's all. I'll see if I can resume the migration frome there, don't want to have to start it all over again... thanks for the help, let me know if you have more suggestions, they're more than welcome!

Know I get the status 0....

Most likely, it is the device with the next higher node number (19) that caused the ghost nodes 17, 18 during pairing. Try powering down (remove AC or battery) of that device.

I see. However, for that, I need to find out which device it is...

I understand. But it’s not a device with a lower node number (16 or lower). Hopefully, by the device names, you can identify devices 19 and above. Power a bunch of them down beginning with node 19, see if remove works. If not, try a higher node bunch.

If that doesn’t work, you will have to get out the big guns and use a USB Z-Stick. See my post here:

Download the Hubitat app