Unable to remove ghost node with either C7 or PC Controller

In my case I won't lose anything because I backup daily and I didn't make any changes between the backup and when the problem happened.

Great feedback. I'll wait a couple of days before I do anything else.

Marc

1 Like

Any luck yet? And I feel ya. We're so conditioned to have it all immediately. Same day delivery, instant movie streaming, instant text responses and it has warped our sense of time and destroyed whatever little patience we had.
Was it the girl in willy wonka? "I want it now Daddy"
God help us all

Veruca Salt

1 Like

Thanks for checking in!

I tried removing it yesterday morning without success, so I decided to not try today. I will give it a try tomorrow, so that it will have been at least 48 hours since my previous attempt.

Marc

For giggles you can try the unplug at the wall for 5 mins again to see if it helps free it up... The other issue if you have a ghost node is if the device that created it is still powered up it won't allow the remove.

The device that created the ghost node is offline and disconnected from power.

When I did it before I only unplugged the hub for about a minute. Will leaving it unplugged for a longer period of time have an impact?

Thanks!

Marc

Frankly I'm not sure it matters, but it also shouldn't hurt anything, and only costs you five minutes of waiting time. :wink:

1 Like

The longer the hub is unplugged the greater the odds of a sleepy device waking up to discover it no longer has a route back. If it’s down long enough may have to manually wake up a sleepy device or two to reestablish “normal” communication - depends on what, if any, battery saving measures may have been instituted.

1 Like

Thank you for replying!

The device that caused the ghost is a mains-power ZOOZ zen26 switch. That switch is not longer connected to a power source.

Marc

Reading through the thread, it may not be the device you think it is (0 SDK failure node is no longer in failed node list). If the hub and router are on a UPS you could power down the house, and then try to remove it; if not I'd try the old aluminum foil trick - briefly wrap the hub in foil, click refresh, and then try the remove. (don't leave the hub in the foil too long or it will overheat)

That error--which I missed when mentioned above--could be Z-Wave database corruption. (The device still being responsive is usually code 2.) A recent firmware update made this less likely to happen but won't do anything to fix existing corruption. I'm not sure there's any way besides resetting the radio and rebuilding the network, though I'd probably just try PC Controller or another secondary to see if that works--probably easier. :slight_smile: (But yeah, it does require some extra hardware. The newer Z-Wave database should be more resilient to this issue--FWIW, I redid my entire network on 2.3.0 recently and was shocked at how much smoother it went than the early days.)

This post/thread has more on that "0 SDK failure" thing:

1 Like

I'm starting to suspect that this will be necessary. Prior to doing this I am going to try to restore a cloud backup, which I believe also includes the option of restoring the radio configuration and database.

How do you rebuild the network without having to rebuild all of your automations?

Marc

A hub backup will take your apps/automations (and most settings, including your device list, just not the pairings themselves) with, so it was just a matter of doing that and then swapping the "old" devices out for the new. If you have a rule or other complicated app, a tip in case that sounds like too much: an import/export or clone will allow you to choose replacement devices.

There is also an unofficial procedure for some Z-Wave devices where you can do a DNI swap and effectively replace the device on Hubitat itself, but that took nearly as much time IMHO.

For Zigbee, you'll have to re-pair the devices no matter what. But they'll be recognized as the same device, and there shouldn't be any need to change anything (besides hitting "Done" inside any Groups and Scenes group where Zigbee gropu broadcasting was enabled if you need to re-establish that).

1 Like

I have the exact same issue with a client of mine. Am NOT looking forward to doing this unfortunately. :sob:

@marcaronson408 IF the Z-wave firmware (Zwave chipset) updates that have been talked about get into the next Hubitat firmware release, then it may (and I emphasize the may part) help this situation.

I can't say for sure that the Zwave firmware update will fix anything, but lots of people who have tried this firmware (albeit on other devices/hubs) claim that the update is pretty amazing in fixing a variety of Zwave issues that are currently being experienced.

However, we don't know when the next Hubitat update is upcoming, so it could be a while before you get to try the fix. It could be another month or two before the next Hubitat release. And there is no guarantee that they even put the Zwave fix into that release. Hubitat has indicated they are trying the Zwave firmware, but that is all we know right now.

But if it came down to rebuilding my whole Zwave network like @erktrek might have to do, or waiting until the next release, I think I would wait if at all possible.

Here is that other post where you can find a link to the discussion about the Zwave firmware for another hub.

1 Like

That makes sense to me. I am not experiencing any z-wave network issues, so other then the presence of the ghost device "driving me crazy" when I look at the z-wave configuration, it doesn't appear to be causing any problems.

There is also another alternative I am thinking about.

My understanding is that the cloud backup has the ability to restore the radio configuration information. I have a cloud backup from just before this problem was introduced, and I have not made any meaningful changes since then. I am tempted to try to restore the cloud backup with the option that restores the radio configuration, but since I have never attempted a restore from cloud backup before, I worry that it might cause more problems than it solves.

Do you or anyone else on this thread have any experience trying to do this?

Marc

It can if you subscribe to the Hub Protect service. That said the other option is to pair a z-wave stick to hubitat as a secondary controller and delete the ghost that way (also if you're running anything at s0 you can re-pair them through that controller to hubitat without the s0 security)...

I do subscribe to hub protect, but last night I realized I made the mistake of waiting too long. Hub Protect retains 5 backups -- the one I needed from Feb 20th is gone. I should have disabled the creation of further backups as soon as the problem happened. Sigh...

I've been looking at that option and I am going to give it a shot. I need to order a USB Z-wave stick and the Silicon Labs USB Z-Wave controller is out of stock everywhere I look -- 10 week backorder.

I'm debating between the Zooz Z10 vs. the zwave.me USB sticks.

The Zooz stick is 700-series based while the zwave.me is 500-series based.

Any advise?

Marc

I use the zooz 700 stick, works well

1 Like

A quick update that my Zooz ZST10 USB stick arrived today. I was able to successfully pair it to the Hubitat HUB and delete the ghost device by following these instructions.

Thanks to everyone on the thread for your help!

Marc

9 Likes