Unable to Pair New Zig Bee Devices to Hubitat C-8

I recently migrated my setup to the C8 hub, from the C7. I'm having no problems with existing devices in my home. However, I can't seem to add any additional ZigBee devices. The devices are detected, but are always stuck at initializing. I've tried the options to avoid repeaters and keys in clear, but with the same result.

The odd thing is, the devices in question have successfully paired with the C7 or C8 before. One is an Innr Power Plug, which I removed from my C7 long ago and factory reset. The other is a power strip. I was unable to pair it to the C7, but it seems this particular model was not compatible with the C7, but was said to be compatible with the C8. Prior to loading my C7 config to the C8 hub, I had successfully paired the C8 to the power strip. I did this merely to confirm the issue was hub compatibility, not the power strip itself being defective. After I had confirmed, I factory reset the C8. This was a month or two back.

First of all, I assume the C7 has been shut down and unplugged.

Check out this thread, somewhat similar issues in terms of being unable to pair devices. in particular the advice about Zigbee channels - you may have some Wi-Fi interference and need to adjust your ZIgbee channel on the C8. Particularly if the C8 is on a different channel than the (generally successful,I believe) C7.

Already checked the channel actually. It was Channel 20, same as the C7 was using. I even tried changing it for good measure, but with the same results.

I'm having no problems with Zigbee already paired to the hub, nor does the Zigbee network on my hub appear as offline. It's simply when any new device is paired, it seems to hang at the Initializing stage.

OK, good then. Have you done a Wi-Fi scan just in case, to confirm you don't have new interference from a channel change on your part (if your APs are on auto-channel select) or neighbors Wi-FI?

If you've successfully paired the power strip to the C8 before, and assuming the C8 was on the same channel at that time that it is now, you're not helping w/obvious "that's it" issues. :wink:

C7 is off/unplugged, right? Just confirming very basic stuff...like the power strip reset sequence is completeing as expected, lights that blink or whatever and doing what they are expected to?

Can you provide more details on what behavior you are seeing with this and what (if any) logs you are seeing when this happens?

This is all I see int he logging:

Is there any way to view more detailed log information for the pairing/initializing attempts?

C7 is unplugged. I made it a point to avoid having them powered on at the same time. The only time was to check the zigbee wireless channel setting.

For the power strip, agreed, it could have been using a different channel. For the plug though, it's been paired to the C7 before, on channel 20. The C8 was also using channel 20. I changed it to see if that would yield different results, and it did not. Also, I live in a rather remote location, so no neighbor wifi to worry about.

The power strip doesn't appear to have a reset sequence, or not one you can easily notice. I think pairing in general is only triggered by doing a reset. The blinking light is the sign it's been reset and paring. The plug however does have a defined reset process, and I've run it each time before a new attempt.

1 Like

My first guess is a repeating device on your mesh that’s interfering with the pairing process. I had a couple devices that I had to take to a different location in my house in order for them to complete the pairing process. I didn’t have any problems with them once they were working.

If that's the case, would the "Pair while trying to avoid Zigbee 3.0 repeaters" option work then? I've tried a few different locations in the house now. I do realize the wording of the option is "trying", so it might not be 100%.

I would definitely try the two additional pairing options...always reset the device before starting the pairing.

1 Like

My guess is “no”, but it can’t hurt to try. You might also try turning up the zigbee radio power and see if that helps.

I've already tried both of them, since the description sounds like they're meant to address my issue, but sadly, no change.

I’m assuming the power strip is one of the Tuya devices. I’m not sure if they are still working with the C-8, but @kkossev should know. For the INNR outlet, I thought there was a firmware update (from INNR) due to this issue. I may be misremembering.
Edit: I was mistaken. It was INNR bulbs, and the firmware update was HE 2.3.6 that fixed the issue.

It was made available quite a while ago (not recently!), but a firmware update IS also available for the Innr plugs too (both 224 and 234 flavors)... So if any Innr plug users haven't ever tried the "Update firmware" option, that may be worth a shot.

1 Like

Is there any way to update the firmware on the plug if it's not initialized with the hub?

Not that I'm aware of. When made available, HE staff gets f/w files from the manufacturers and then puts them on the HE server (I think?) where we users can then update the device firmware via the HE UI.

Have you tried pairing the devices after powering down your C-8, pulling the plug at the wall for 30 seconds and plugging it back in? Sometimes that helps and powering off completely it the only way to actually shut off the z radios.

Update: I tried using yet another Innr plug, and this one paired up without issue. I'm going to chalk this up to the zigbee devices being the problem, not the hub. I'm still surprised that Innr plug went bad somehow though. They've been rather reliable devices for me.

@kkossev , I am curious to know if the Tyua power strips are now no longer compatible with the C8. It's disappointing if so, because I can't find any other remotely controlled power strips that use anything other than Wifi.

Unfortunately, some new Zigbee 3.0 devices have problems with the EFR32MG21 chipset used in Hubitat C-8.

TS011F _TZ3000_cfnprab5 is in this list.