Unable to access hub from desktop browser

I previously could access the hub from my desktop browser (chrome), over time it became more intermittent on when it would work. Now it has completely stopped working. I can access the hub from the app on my iPhone and I can access the custom dashboard on my desktop however I cannot access the hub's homepage (I need to add a device and looks like I cannot add it from the app since there is no + add button). I have power cycled the hub but since I cannot get to the hub from my desktop, I don't have a way to do a 'proper' restart. I also noticed that my hub's IP address has changed from what it previously was (not sure why?). Any ideas/suggestions are appreciated, I am very stuck (and i'm not super tech savvy).

First thing is to verify that your desktop on the same network as the hub.

The first thing I would try is this: http://findmyhub.hubitat.com/
If that doesn't find the hub, one of the advanced discovery options from this page provide some alternatives.

1 Like

Thanks Tony. It does find my hub however when I click on the button "connect to hub", it opens another tab in my browser with my hub's IP address, but nothing ever loads on that page. Eventually the page times out. I've tried this on chrome and safari (i'm on a mac). Any ideas/suggestions for me to try next?

You can reset your DHCP settings using this technique... it may help.

1. If you are accidentally blocked from accessing your hub due to an incorrect or unknown IP address setting, turn the hub over and use the point of a pen to press the small button just beneath the surface of the hub casing for at least 7 seconds.

If you are accidentally blocked from accessing your hub due to an incorrect or unknown IP address setting, turn the hub over and use the point of a pen to press a small button just beneath the surface of the hub casing for at least 7 seconds. All of the holes on the bottom of the hub are square in shape, but one hole is round. With the hub upside-down and the Ethernet port at the top, the round hole will be in the top row, sixth from the right.

1 Like

Unfortunately that did not work for me :frowning:

Green light is on, right?

Can you look at your router's DHCP table and find the hub's IP address?

Can you ping said IP address?

1 Like

Yep, green light is on solidly (did turn blue when I did the 7second hard reset but eventually went green). When I do the "find my hub" url, it does find my hub. I use Amazon eero mesh system in my house (i'll try turning off the 5Ghz band next being broadcast), so I just logged into it and reserved my hub's IP address to prevent it from changing in the future. Just did a ping from my mac's terminal and it failed (timeout).

If you go to this link http://findmyhub.hubitat.com/ and select "advanced discovery" does the "scan" option yield anything? You'll need to enter the subnet for it to scan. I'm assuming your Mac and the hub are on the same subnet?

I'm not familiar with the Eero - does the ethernet port have a LINK light and is it on? Though if the hub responds to the mobile app it's more likely just some IP address funkiness and not a bad cable.

And when you say you can access the hub on your phone can you access all of the functionality of the ui? If so, go to settings, hub details, and record the IP address. Let's see if it matches what you think it should be.

2 Likes

Are you able to access it from this link?

http://hubitat.local

2 Likes

Nope, that link didn't work. Did the same "site can't be reached, took too long to respond".

1 Like

Scan didn't yield anything, however the hub is already showing up before I clicked on "advanced discovery". I'll try some more options with my eero tomorrow, in case that is the issue. The app on my iphone loads the dashboard just fine (as does my laptop if I go directly to the dashboard url), however the devices on my phone does not work either (does not show all the devices I have connected). I can't remember if the app normally lets you add devices or if that has to be done from a desktop, but my app capabilities do seem limited although at least it loads more than my desktop.

Is your LAN segmented into VLANs? Is your hub in a different VLAN?

1 Like

Not all devices are shown on the app version, only lights, switches, and I forget what else.

1 Like

@user2084 The mobile app (at least the iOS app) allows full access to the UI and can be used to add devices. And it can be used to validate your hub's IP address. But not if you use the "devices" button on the Home Screen.

If you click on "connect to hub" or "registered hubs" you can access the hub's UI.

From there you can click "devices"

The three horizontal lines brings up the regular menu and you can also access devices there.

or you can click on the three horizontal lines and get the regular UI left panel.

The IP address at the top should also be the IP address of your hub. I blanked out the last 2 octets of mine (not sure why just paranoid I guess) but whatever is displayed here should be your hub's actual IP address. Does it match what you think it should be? And can you use that IP in your browser?

BTW if this method times out then it is likely HE is still connected to the cloud and what you've been seeing via the mobile app is the cloud version of stuff. If that's the case can you describe your network setup in more detail? What is upstream of your Eeros? I'm wondering if you have some sort of double-NATting thing going on.

4 Likes

Oh heck yes!!! I could just hug you right now Brad! Remote admin totally worked! I will keep troubleshooting my desktop access stuff, but at least I can now verify that it is something fixable and is not a hardware issue.

1 Like

Lol my first hug on this forum! Thank you!

But you should be able to find the IP of the hub and try it from your browser. All the mobile app does in this mode is open up a captive browser session.

2 Likes

Yeah, the IP appears to be the same. Must be some kind of mesh network black magic I’ll have to dig into.

If you can describe how your mesh network is connected and specifically how it connects to the internet we can probably figure it out.

PS: I hate residential meshed network gear.

This topic has been marked solved by the community and subsequently closed. For further discussion on this topic, feel free to create a new thread under appropriate category.