UK Switches & Sockets - rewire urgent advice needed :-)

Yes

All though I think it's ON/ UP, OFF/DOWN

I have them as single push because I had to use S2 to control the ZigBee RGBW lamp also in the room.

Yes correct but click is also a good price.

Yeah, unlike MK there is no "yoke" the switches screw directly to the front plate and make a "normal" switch almost. So allows you to mix and match.

Plus they have a very satisfying "Click" (pun intended).

Just look for click scolmore mini grid.

1 Like

Good luck.

I have a feeling there is now a solid wall plastic version, I'll take a look.

Edit yes

https://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/134145-1-gang-45mm-flange-box-white

1 Like

Would you suggest plastic for the sockets too if going with

:thinking:

Given they're all in situ I'm hoping the answer is that metal is fine :grimacing::joy:

'No yoke'. that in itself makes them better. With the MK if your box isn't perfectly level with the plaster, the modules don't sit flush with the front plate.

'Satisfying click'. ugh! I'd rather switches were silent. I've just returned from holiday in the states. Why can't we have those big ■■■ soft action switches they have. My neighbours (semi detached) are so loud through the wall I want to move house.

1 Like

The key is one part is plastic. I had a metal back box then mental front plate and it had some issues.

Now I have plastic back box and metal front plate and it's fine. Essentially as long as it's not in a full metal box your good.

Perfect - I've been searching for something like that for ages - tried TLC, Rexel, YESSS etc to no avail.

1 Like

:joy::joy: There not loud they just feel like they make a good connection. As a sparkly I like a good sound connection :rofl:. American switches are fugly as hell! Why would you want a switch 4 times the size!

More room for the module, easy to operate when arriving home bladdered etc :rofl: Plus, their 'smart switches' Lutron, Inovelli etc are a standard fit in those same plates I think.

:joy:
That's what motion sensors and door contacts are for :slightly_smiling_face:. If dark and I open front door it turn on the light :+1:t2:

So the https://www.click4electrics.co.uk/click-smart-home-accessories-c-957_1117/click-smart-13a-2-gang-zigbee-smart-switched-socket-outlet-p-10502 would likely be fine with a metal back box :+1:t2:

On the socket front @BorrisTheCat you suggested the Clicksmart was preferable over the BG Electrical 822/HC-01 Smart Power Socket, Alexa Compatible Double 13 Amp, White Moulded Amazon.co.uk presumably with the latter being WiFi rather than ZigBee.

If WiFi drops with the BG socket I assume it would lose any smart functionality and just become a dumb socket?

Yes, but the same would be true for the ZigBee. The advantages though of the ZigBee is they don't need to have a strong connection to the hub or router. They just need a connection to the closet powered ZigBee device.

Plus they are then not taking up your WiFi bandwidth. They will also strengthen your ZigBee network for your other devices. Also again like ZigBee light switches you can turn them on and off via a group.

Yeah I would have thought they would have designed it expecting that they may be installed in a metal box. However if you can use plastic where possible, it's only going to help.

Would you just screw through the back of this to fix it to a solid wall?

We've got a mixture of stud walls where we can easily go with a deep plastic box and some solid walls which will need a bit of chasing out to fit in the deeper box.

I believe you fix from the front holes, not sure how easy that would be being so close to the hole. But yes I would say drilling the back might be easier.

Plastic boxes would have been a no brainer if some weren't already in situ and plastering done :roll_eyes:

Is there any option to place pucks at the ceiling rose side of the circuit?

1 gang 47mm socket. 3 x scolmore click retractile switches (1 x single pendant, 1 x 3 pendant, 1 x LED Spots). Thinking could add 1 puck at the switch and 2 in the roof space? All these are single way.

:thinking:

Is there any disadvantage to putting these in the ceiling for areas that I can't easily get a 47mm or plastic box in?

Smart ZigBee Inline Light Dimmer Switch Compatible Echo Plus and ZigBee Bridge Hub to Control Normal Lights, LED Downlights Smart Home Automation Amazon.co.uk

There's no technical reason you can't put them at the fitting. I personally would be reluctant to do so, as I'd not be happy just tucking a module in the ceiling with exposed live terminals like that. The module should be enclosed (where it cannot be accessed without use of a tool), as after the wiring is stipped/prepared for connection, you'd have basic insulation exposed. What I did for some Fibaro curtain modules that needed to be close to the motors, was install a plasterboard box through the ceiling and fit a single gang low profile blank plate.

1 Like

is this just one lamp? if so may just be too low for a dimmer so you could use a ZigBee RGBW lamp or CT lamp.

only that this one doesn't have a switch input. so no local control, only network.

Do you mean no local control from the switch at all or no dimming function from the switch?

All the back boxes have been put in place now so to change is going to be a challenge in terms of adding to cost and time :grimacing:

this, im just saying look for a better device than that. you want one you can wire a switch input too. this way the local switch always triggers the light.