UK Motion Sensors

Just something to note. They are not as fast as the Xiaomi/Aqara devices. Only slightly but just noticeable. They are faster than any z-wave device I've tried though.

Like I say, barely noticeable and for me with my use case, makes no difference.

If you get them from eBay make sure you pick a seller that says UK based and not from China otherwise you could wait up to a month before they turn up.

1 Like

OP

I am not getting any Xiaomi kit -- got z few buttons and contact sensors and they just don't work. They pair, but then they stop working. I've read in some other threads and one of my own that I started yesterday that Xiaomi use their own Zigbee protocol and are hit and miss with HE.

I have my Aqara/Xiaomi devices on a C3 hub. On my C7 they do not play nicely.
Ironically my C7 has compatible repeaters and I have no repeaters on my C3.
Must be one of the repeaters not quite doing what it should.

Acceptable price and cheap are 2 different things mate.

I think the issue with Xiaomi is probably more complicated than that. See my other thread that I started yesterday.

Agree but £30 for a motion sensor is not cheap nor acceptable

Horses for courses

1 Like

And what do you guys do for smart switches / dimmers (battery powered) that control smart bulbs that ideally can go over existing “dumb” switches?

I only have experience with Hue switches / dimmers but what else is good?

Smart bulbs. Aarrgghhhh. I keep away from them.
All I have got is Sonoff buttons to turn Radio on and off (Sonoff speakers) and a couple in the bathroom and bedroom. Bathroom if the lights do not turn on as outside light is bright enough not to turn light on but dark enough for some times when I want it on.
Bedroom one turns all lights off in the house when we go to bed. (Should they still be on).

Hue Motion I'm replacing my zwave aeon multisensor 6 with them as I only need Lux and motion they look nicer than Sonoff and they take two AA batteries so will last longer and far cheaper than CR123a batteries they should be around £25 but seem to jumped up to £30 in the last few weeks

1 Like

Very good point about lower run costs based on the different batteries powering them. I have ordered a couple of Sonoff sensors so will see how they work, but Hue definitely does sound appealing. Especially since all of my lighting so far is Hue and I believe Hue sensors not only do motion but also light (which I don't think Sonoff do).

Yes. I can confirm that.

1 Like

Temperature too. You can adjust the temp offset, temp report change, lux report change, adjust motion sensitivity and motion retrigger time.

1 Like

Yeah, so sounds like a few sensors in one. I suppose if you look at Sonoff that does these but in 3 separate devices, add the 3 up, you end up with a cost of one Hue. So perhaps Hue is actually the same price as Sonoff for like-for-like features.

I bought 10 Iris 2 sensors from the US (Contacts too) via ebay. I cant really fault them, sadly I don't see them listed any more. They worked out at £7.50 each at the time. :+1:

1 Like

You'll also find that low end sensors will have limited configuration capabilities if any. Great if your starting out and learning about home automation. Now after Brexit every seller from outside the UK under £135 must collect the VAT.

1 Like

I use only SmartThings motion sensors and they are incredible. Very quick and my wife loves the looks of them. Good battery life as well.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8688651

1 Like

Indeed looking good. However, I'm thinking, if I'm OK to spend £25 per sensor, then I think I will be going with the Hue sensors. All my lighting is already Hue, all connected to Hue bridge. Given the two sensors cost the same and I think do the same thing, it will be Hue for me.

Actually, the Hue reports lux, and the SmartThings don't.

2 Likes