UK Light Switches - The continuing battle

Hi all I know there is a continuing battle for people in the UK to find a decent smart light switch that doesn't cost the earth. I've read the suggested previous forum posts but am not any further forward.

Has anyone tried this switch? (Or similar with zigbee in it rather than wifi)

(Just realise it won't let me include a link for some reason) Basically a "Yagusmart TuYa ZigBee Smart Switch", as seen on Amazon UK, the zigbee one though, not the wifi one.

I'm trying to find a glass touch switch for the lights. With SmartThings it works for a single gang but SmartThings isn't that smart with more gangs. I'm after 3 switches per plug that are also able to trigger routines, and I want it to be mains powered. Is Hubitat any better?

Also would love a UK version of an Inovelli switch, they don't cost a fortune and have a feature that can disable the internal relay allowing for your switches to act as scene controllers only. Shame they work on a different frequency and aren't in UK shapes and sizes.

Many thanks,

Nigel

I use the Sonoff TX series glass touch panels, come in white or black,1,2 or 3 switch. I have some of the 3 switch ones, with 2 switches wired up and 1 which I use as a virtual switch. I also use the Sonoff BASIC inline switches for lots of yard and outside lights.

The TX run in the ÂŁ20 mark, depending on switch number, BASICs run in the single pounds.

These all run on wifi rather than a Z technology and there is a Hubitat Manager app for them.

The only caveat is that they need to be converted to Tasmota firmware to take them off the hellish system they come with. This does involve soldering and some computer smarts though.

1 Like

I've found the generic zigbee switch driver way superior to smartthings. It has been able to pick up all of my various zigbee multigang light switches around the house and activate the child switches with zero issues. In smartthings I needed custom handlers for each.

2 Likes

I use the Yagusmart Zigbee Switch. Single and Double, although I have only just started on Hubitat they work fine on both this and SmartThings.

2 Likes

All my switches here are doubles, even if they’re only serving one cabled light. It powers the second switch and I use that as a switch for my lamps (or you could use that for scene controllers. ) in the same room.

I’m using Zemismart Zigbee paddles, you can get them in 1,2 and 3 gang. They work great!!

Never had any issues with HE and child devices. Although on ST when I had Xiaomi switches, they didn’t work great until I modified the driver to suit.

Go HE. You won’t regret it.

3 Likes

Was sounding perfect until the soldering :grinning:

Not that I've ruled it out though, thanks for taking the time to reply

Thanks, I think HE is the way forward for this kind of thing.

1 Like

That's great to hear, thank you

It's honestly not that bad, plenty of online guides for Tasmota flashing, but you do need some modicum of tech smarts! They are cheap cheerful WiFi gear, that solved my issue of expensive zwave kit. I have them all over the place and are rock solid

1 Like

There are some integrations on other platforms to support Tuya devices locally with local status and control (no cloud) and no firmware updates required. Hopefully these will appear on HE over time.

I believe UDP broadcast maybe required which HE doesn’t yet support at the core level.

1 Like

They're using UDP broadcast for hub mesh in 224.

1 Like

I have a whole house of these in the UK:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yagusmart-Neutral-Required-Compatible-Function/dp/B07ZM2T742

1 Like

@AverageJoe90 can these be Tasmotized (without wires) ?

I would not know sorry. I have opened it up to have a poke around and couldn’t see any connectors to get to? Not to say it cannot be done though as I don’t have any experience in it at all!

Thanks Joe,

Have you used 2 & 3 gang switches successfully with Hubitat to control other things other than the light the switch is directly connected to?

I don’t think you would be able to do that without a neutral. If it had a neutral you would be able to do it easy.
I have one hooked up to a light and use the mirror app to turn other lights on and off.

I can do that by monitoring the switch 'events' from switches 2 and 3 using stock Tuya firmware. There is no load connected to either. I am using another controller (HA) that sees these events instantly rather than HE natively though. So it is do-able but maybe not just yet on HE.

1 Like

You can do this with both Xiaomi and Zemismart switches. I'm only using one light, yet have 2 gang switches installed. I use the other to control lamps in the rooms.

In fact I have the same switches as @AverageJoe90, so yes they work :slight_smile:
The Yagusmart are basically Zemismart switches I think, found here.

1 Like

Is that without a Neutral?

Yeah all mine are without :+1:

1 Like