Typical Speed of Rule Machine

How long would it typically take the hub to capture the state of 25 zwave plus light switches? I have written a rule to capture the state of all my lights when my smoke alarm goes off and then three seconds later turn on all the lights in the house. After the smoke alarm goes off I use restore to set all the lights back to their original state. I am having some difficulty having it work, some lights do work others don't. Wondering if three seconds is not enough time for the hub to capture the state of each switch.

I would do this with a scene instead of just within rule machine. You can create a scene with all the lights you want to turn on with the appropriate capture device. Then, in the rule, turn on the capture device first, then turn on the lights you want to turn on. Then when it is clear, you can activate the scene to restore them.

Are you going to do this in 2 rules(triggers)? I would recommend using Private Boolean to enable to second so that it only activates the scene after an alarm has occurred. That way you won't get false activations.

Sorry, don't understand what you are suggesting. "appropriate capture device". Isn't the hub the only device that can capture the state of a light switch? The state (on/off) of my light switches could be anything before the alarm begins alarming, so it is not possible to define their state, the state (on/off) of my light switches while the alarm is alarming is easy to define, it is simply all lights on. Once the alarm goes silent, I would like my lights to go back to the state they where in before the alarm began alarming. This state would almost always be different each time the alarm is alarming, simply because the lights that are on or off change throughout the day and you never know when your alarm might go off.

No, that's not what I mean. When you create a scene you can have the scene create a "capture device". This is a virtual switch that when turned on captures the scene again. So the current state of all the devices within the scene are captured within the scene. You can find info on groups and scenes here:
https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Groups_and_Scenes

Thanks for the info, I don't have that app installed. I will install and play around a bit with it. Thanks again for the suggestion, I will post back if I can't get it working the way I like. :slight_smile:

I will say this though....i was trying to do some fancy lighting alerts with HSM and in the end, I found that keeping the number of lights involved to a minimum made it much faster and more reliable. So, do you really need all 25 lights on? Might be more effective if you can cut that number down.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.