Two Zwave networks?

I have Ring with range extenders. I also have hubitat with smart zwave switches through the house. Since the Ring window sensors use the Ring range extenders today(installed first) what will happen if I convert the Ring range extender to Hubitat? Will the windows sensors on the far side of the house have a path back to the Ring hub? It is unclear if all zwave extends or they have to be on a "single" network.

They have to be on a single network. Meaning that a range extender paired with Ring will not work as a repeater for Hubitat. Similarly, a range extender paired with Hubitat will not repeat for Ring.

1 Like

That is what I expected. Given the tight integration Ring has with it's sensors it seems like I should keep two separate networks. Any strong reason to convert to Hubitat given that I already have the Ring-Hubitat app running so I do have the ability to respond to sensor changes already.

Consider you are using the Ring system for security. HE is more of a generalized home automation system. While you can certainly pair the devices directly to HE you would also have to recreate the alarm part of the security system. Likely Ring has it all mostly worked out whereas for HE it would be more your direct responsibility.

Exactly how I saw it. I don't need to reinvent the wheel and with the IFTTT, Ring and Alexa apps installed things pretty much flow both ways. Question on a different topic. I am trying to find out how to activate a Ring floodlight based on hubitat actions. I can get the floodlight motion through IFTTT but not sure how to turn on the Ring floodlight lights. I think it involves a virtual switch in hubitat that Alexa uses a routine to turn on Ring when the virtual switch is flipped. Any other way?

The last time I played around with this was the Unofficial Ring Integration.. There is a re-release version you might want to check out.. I was able to turn my floodlight lights on/off using the older version.

I was looking for some clarification about RING z-wave.
If you buy ring devices, can you circumvent their app completely and pick them up as a pure zwave device?
I just installed and old ring doorbell my wife one a few years ago using the unofficial integration. which work fine. but it's hooked through ring app/account so there is no way to get the video from it on a HE dashboard, for example.
I'm one of those people who want the minimum # of apps and hubs around. :slight_smile:

Some of the Ring devices like the Ring Alarm Range Extender can be included as Z-Wave devices. These are the ones that are available in HE currently..

nr209

I took this from the HE device page type dropdown list... I've only paired the Range Extender and am playing around with the Keypad G1.

Also if you have an old Ring doorbell... have you seen the recall notice?

wow thanks. i was only going to use this door beel temporarily anyways, but certainly want to take that into consideration.

1 Like