Twilio Device problem

Hi,

Anyone had any problems setting up Twilio device? I have created the account and put in the required details (SID and Auth Token) yet the Current States is just blank and not showing what is being shown in the guide (Twilio - Hubitat Documentation).

Did you manage to take a free source phone number with Twilio (mandatory, even for a trial account) and registered a target phone (your own phone) to allow them to send you sms ?
Without that, your account is not entirely set.

I made that mistake at the beginning, thinking that taking a source phone was not mandatory. The phone number itself is free and your Twilio fees are in fact provisionning that number to allow them to send sms.

when done and registered, your Twilio device page on HE will reload and you'll be allowed to insert the source phone (the "Twilio" phone) and the target phone (your own phone).

No I don't think I did, where about is that option? Just having a look now but can not see it. I am in Aus if that changes anything?

Edit: Found it :slight_smile:
So can you only have it sending to one phone number?
Annotation%202019-10-12%20135329

You need to go on the Twilio web pages, login to your account and register a free phone number. When registered, you need to put your target phone. Twilio will call this number (voice) to avoid that you put any phone number (ex-gf, mother in law, boss, ... by example), thus validate it.
With those phone numbers (Twilio free number and yours), you'll fill your HE device page and voilà !

About Australia, I think you can obtain a free phone number as well (like in USA & Canada), just go back to their website and dig the options.

1 Like

you did that faster than my answer...
I think you can register multiple phones (same pattern: they'll call you to validate them) and use their "I don't remember their tool name, 2 AM here" to create some visual workflow, like:

if sms received on Twilio phone contains "ALARM" then send "message 1" to phone 1
if sms received on Twilio phone contains "BACKDOOR" then send "message 2" to phone 2

Perfect will dig more into it. Thanks so much for the help!

Studio Flowchart...

I'm not quite understanding something here. I created a trial Twilio account. It works fine to send a text to my phone. But If I try to send a text to another number I get an error.

From what I seem to see above you have to set up TARGET NUMBERS in Twilio? But I can't seem to find out how to do that. Is it because I only have a trial account at this time?

EDIT: Never mind, finally figured it out.

If you, like me, came here after the setup sheet not working. In your Twilio account scroll to the bottom of the Dashboard and click "Get a Number" (this is where the $1/month comes in).

1 Like

FYI, if you have a Mac/PC/SBC running sendmail, you can get unlimited SMS/email notifications for free.

You can even format your SMS to have a subject line etc.

Unknown

1 Like

Everything i see says Linux. Is there anything documenting setting up sendmail on PC?

You can setup sendmail inside of cygwin.

https://techne.alaya.net/?p=16900

1 Like

Twilio is serious bs.

The instructions are wrong, can't text other numbers without jumping through hoops, requires one sms per month, and even then they're prefixed with "Sent from your dumbass Twilio trial account".

Major disappointment from Hubitat!!!

Short fix is to strip out SMS functionality from my apps (lot of wasted work). Beyond that, dunno. SMS is a big deal for home automation notifications. Maybe wouldn't be so bad if they hadn't removed functionality that I had paid for.