Tuya Zigbee water/gas valve

Thank you @maffpt , there is no rush...

Have a pleasant and safe trip!

Dude, you're a rockstar. You managed to get all 63 versions(exaggeration but there are MANY) of that Tuya valve. I hate how Tuya does that, making many versions of the same exact thing. If I do buy any Tuya stuff it has to be right at the time someone reports it as working, and even then it's a crapshoot if it'll work, and you'll never get a refund because they're specified to work with Tuya hub only.

2 Likes

The problem with the many different versions of a product that looks the same is more complicated... These devices are actually not made by Tuya, but by many other different companies. What is in common is that these different implementations or modifications are certified by Tuya to work with their Cloud platform. So no matter how the Zigbee commands are implemented, the product will always work when used with Tuya Zigbee gateway and the gateway communicates to Tuya Cloud servers. This allows for small startup companies to come very quickly on the market - use the Tuya IOT developments platform, pass the Tuya certification, pay Tuya a tax for using their cloud platform - and your product is ready to be sold to millions of SmartLife (and many other white labels) system users.

What makes it complicated here is that we are trying to bypass the Cloud communication, thus we can not benefit from the abstraction layer that Tuya Cloud API provides. And we have to deal with the lower level Zigbee communication specifics for each manufacturer.

2 Likes

It was pointed out recently that Hubitat met with Tuya and they declined to help sort through their id clusters and only wanted cloud implementation so they could collect data. HE of course said NO rather emphatically. They weren't going to let that happen. Keep up the good work sir!

2 Likes

I'm back!

As I remembered, the valve stays at the same position when powered off/on.

Probably, analysing the Zigbee clusters could be possible to identify other parameters - but I don't know how to do it.

Hope it helps anyway.

1 Like

Thank you for the information!. Staying at the same position when powered off/on is probably the best default behavior for most use cases. I wasn't sure which is the default setting, as I have experimented with changing it from the SmartLife app.

I have all the needed technical information on how to make the 'power on behavior' configurable from the HE driver, and hopefully, will have the time to implement it in the driver in the next weeks.

1 Like

Great news!

The driver I use is adaptation of a TRV valve and a lot of things there make no sense for a water/gas valve - ao, your driver surely will be welcome!

You try using the dedicated driver from this link Tuya Zigbee water/gas valve - #17 by kkossev

I see now it needs some more code cleanup, but it works fine with my Tuya valve.

I recently received one of the old style Tuya Zigbee valves from Aliexpress. It paired quickly and the Sinope Valve driver worked fine.

I'll revive this thread since this is where I found the info i was looking for.

I have 4 of those black squarish valves from Ali Express. Using the Sinopé driver successfully since it's the only built-in ZigBee valve driver. However, I'd be keen to try the custom Tuya one from kkossev mentioned above. I assume it's available from the Package Manager?

The reason i was searching the forum is that this morning 2 of the valves were shut, and i could not figure it why. But the explanations above shed some light: We had a power outage during the night. Those valves were not all purchased at the same time, so it could be that they are different models even though they look identical, and one model closes the valve when powered on.
This behaviour is not a good idea in my opinion. It shut the gas to the house and i had to relight the pilot light.

A final thought, i like the design of the valve from the original post. The clamp seems more sturdy. I hope it works with that driver as well.

Anyway, thanks for the driver kkossev.

Hi Stephane,

The Tuya valve driver is published here : [RELEASE] Tuya Zigbee Valve driver (w/ healthStatus)

There were a lot of changes in the latest developments branch version related to the more complex water irrigation valves/timers, but the older version that is currently installed from HPM supports the power-on behavior configuration :

This driver also adds some additional monitoring of the device health, firing an healthStatus offline event if the valve did not report its presence for more than 12 hours.

3 Likes

Awesome! Thanks so much.

Will it make it's way into HPM? It would be convenient

You can use HPM to install the current driver version now. Search for "Tuya Zigbee Valve".

When the new version of the same driver is fully tested and ready for update, you will receive an automatic notification from HPM that there is an update available.

1 Like

Brilliant!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.