Turning off/on second switch based on first switch

My switch2 turns on at sunrise and off at 10PM. Using the Hubitat Simple Lighting plugin. This works fine.

I then wanted to have switch1 folow switch2. So when switch 2 is turned off, switch 1 turns off, and when turning on the same.

I created a rule machine rule that says when switch2 is off/on, turn off/on switch1. It works when I physically hit the switch button and turn off/on switch2. However, when the simple lighting app turns switch2 on/off switch1 doesn't follow.

How do I get switch 1 to follow switch 2 when the program switches it?

thanks,
david

Could you post a screenshot of your rule?

you can use the mirror app for this, much simpler than creating a rule.

1 Like

I can do it with scenes as well, just curious as to what I'm missing.

@Sigogglin
Don't choose physical off as your trigger. Just choose Off. Physical off restricts the trigger to only those events where the switch is physically turned off. It does not include digital events via Hubitat.

But as @mike.maxwell said, the Mirror app is a better solution for your needs.

1 Like

I'm a noob as well :nerd_face: and found the exact issue. If you choose physical switch vs switch, my rules weren't triggering. Not quite sure what the difference is between the two with regards to RM :man_shrugging:

Physical switch = someone/something physically pushing on the switch
switch = all on/off events (physical and digital)

I wondered about that.

good to know,
david

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying!

1 Like

@Sigogglin @Tim-in-Ca

You're welcome. While Hubitat does have a support system, the user community provides a ton of unofficial support. So keep asking questions, I know I did when I switched from Wink in March. I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable as some of the folks here; their help and answers to my questions was instrumental to get my devices and automations working.

Nice! this is exactly what I was wanting.

Now to figure out how to install an app off github. . .

david

Have a look at mirror, it's built in...

1 Like

I have been investigating hubs and smart switches. I want to do something similar, but with a pair of smart switches to make a 3 way dimmer situation where there isn't one now. I have switch 1 in a hall but there isn't a pair at the other end. However, at the other end there is a light switch that controls a plug I'm not using (it would normally be used to turn on a bedside lamp when entering the room).

What I want to do is have this second switch control not only turn on the hall switch, but to also be able to physically dim it from switch 2. I was thinking of capping off the load and line in the switch 2 box, so the plug it controls is then always on. After that I would attach a smart switch to the line and neutral wires in switch box 2 so Hubitat would see this 2nd switch.

Can this be done, and if so, can you suggest which switches to use?