Turning a group of lights on or off from any of the switches?

Hi All,

I have a big rec room in my house that has track lights, flood lights, ceiling fan lights, etc. 3 of the switches are all by the door to the room. The rest are spread out all over. I want to group all of the lights together as the "Rec Room" and then have ANY light switch in that group control all of them.

So for instance, I could turn on all the lights just by tapping the fan light switch at one of the room and turn them all off by tapping off the track lights switch at the other of the room. Is there a simple way of doing this? I tried out the mirror app and the Simple Automations app, but just couldn't figure it out. I'm sure it is just something simple that I am totally missing. Any ideas?

Look at groups and scenes, you will need to install if you haven't already. Its a built in app

2 Likes

I made this app for EXACTLY this purpose: [RELEASE] Switch Bindings - Code Share - Hubitat

4 Likes

Look at groups and scenes, you will need to install if you haven't already. Its a built in app

Thanks I did that. Groups literally just create a group of lights. Scenes will only turn on or turn off that group and the scene would need to be assigned to a single switch. Its very convoluted. In Smartthings this was a ridiculously simple thing to achieve. I am amazed this is so difficult to uncover actually.

AFAIK you can create a scene and then assign it to any switches or buttons you want, or use it in any automations you want to create. What did you see that made you think you could only assign a scene to a single switch? I've only just started using scenes, but didn't see any limitation like that.

I do agree that creating a scene isn't the most intuitive process in the world, and some of the messaging used w/scenes ("Not set") can be confusing, but once created they do seem easy to use. I use mine in automations based on sunrise/sunset, but could also assign them to switches if I wanted to.

Example of Simple Automation assigning a scene to a bunch of switches:

2 Likes

@danabw yes I am very familiar with scenes. The challenge is exactly what you are showing in that snapshot. I would need two scenes for every single room. One scene to turn off the switches and one scene to turn on the switches. :smiley: Pretty painful. I would think HE could handle this right out of the box. Another example of this is outdoor lights. My outdoor light switches are all over the house. I like being able to switch on the outdoor lights from any switch that I am near that controls any one of the outdoor lights.

1 Like

You sir are a saint and a savior. This worked PERFECTLY. Simple and fast. It would be awesome if Hubitat had this preloaded on the device like a few other community apps. This did the trick. Thanks so much man. If you lived closer I would buy ya a beer!

3 Likes

If you lived closer, I'd drink your beer!

Glad it helped out.

2 Likes

Thanks for clarifying what was bothering you. @jwetzel1492's app is very useful.

1 Like

@danabw if his app didn’t exist, I definitely would have gone your route with the scenes. I appreciate the response as an option. :+1:

2 Likes