Turn Lights on - on Motion Detect from Tablet (Active through Tasker)

Hey everyone

I have set up my tablet screen to auto-turn off when I get close to it using Tasker and Motion Detector.

The next thing I would like to do is to run a Hubitat command when that happens.

I thought that this would be pretty straightforward - but I couldn't find any other similar projects.

I still believe this should be easy to do and I am missing the obvious here - hence my post. Has anyone done this? :slight_smile:

You have at least two options as far as I am aware, one I know more about, but the other is probably the better option ...

The first one which I would recommend looking at is using (I think) a HTTP endpoint as a trigger in a Rule Machine rule. This allows you to trigger a rule using a HTTP call from tasker without too much setup. Others may need to chime in with some details....

Maker API the other option. It is a built-in app you can install on your HE hub. You then choose devices to expose through this API, which then allows both reading of device states externally as well as running commands on the devices to adjust their state.

See how you go...

Simon

1 Like

This works extremely well if you can use the tablet to send them out some how. I'm doing this with Blue Iris and my security cameras. Thanks to BI using AI for motion sensing now I have zero false alerts. When it does decide motion is real based on it being a human or a car, etc then it sends an HTTP end point to HE to turn on all of my outdoor flood lights which light up the place like a high school football stadium! I love it, it's probably my favorite smart home setup so far.

2 Likes

Awesome. The HTTP endpoint indeed seems what I am looking for - and maybe in the future I can dive into the API. Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like