TTS Through Alexa Dying weekly - nodered

If you import this, be sure to switch new nodes to your existing Alexa config setup and then delete aaiyar's config node that comes into Node Red when you import this flow. I didn't at first and got a "Port 3456 already in use" for all of my Alexa2-remote nodes.

1 Like

I have a Sonos One and a couple of the symfonisk speakers. They all sound great.

The Sonos One has Alexa built in. But honestly I don't like it. It's a stripped down version of alexa and you usually find out what it cant do when you ask it to do something. I think the drop in feature was one of those things but they might have changed it. Typical in the Alexa world where things change frequently.

The symfonisk speakers are great as well. They don't have alexa built in but I use them all just for listening to music.

I pretty much use airplay 2 with the Sonos in my house for music. Whatever we have playing on my phone I can select all the rooms to let it play in and it will play in sync throughout the house. Its really nice. I found when I mixed the tech up with other airplay 2 devices with other vendors things would go out of sync. So I tried to just keep with sonos. Thats an iOS thing though. If your android I'm not sure if or what their options are.

If you want to play from your services independently, there is a sonos app you can install on your phone. From there you can connect to various things such as tunein, spotify, youtube, amazon etc. From the app you can control the rooms and where they play etc. I really don't use this stuff much as I'm always just playing whatever I have on my phone.

I'm happy I got them.

2 Likes

Sonos/Symfonisk (which is an Ikea brand speaker with Sonos internals for cheaper) can link in with your Amazon Alexa system to a certain extent. It can play anything that Alexa can play with the exception of syncing with Alexa devices for whole-home music. With multiple Alexa devices, you can create speaker groups (ie: all speakers, basement speakers, main floor speakers, etc...) to play music in multiple rooms in sync. While the Sonos speakers are supported in the Alexa app, you can only assign them as a "default speaker" for a specific room. So you can say to your bedroom Alexa "Play spotify" and it will use the Sonos speaker to play. What it can't do is play that music in sync with an Alexa device in another room. You can however create native Sonos groups with multiple Sonos speakers for music through the Sonos app and control them for your phone is whole house music is your goal.

The lack of being able to include these in an Alexa speaker group is the only thing that's stopped me from buying some of these. They sound much better for music, but I quite often make use of the whole home music group and have about a dozen Alexa's playing in sync through the entire house. Which means for me to replicate this with Sonos, I'd need a dozen of those sitting beside the dozen Alexa's. Doesn't make much sense to me.

1 Like

Just to add to this to help others:

This URL will give you a full device list in your account, including those serial numbers

https://alexa.amazon.com/api/devices-v2/device

It's always been such a pain in the a-- to get a full device dump like that until i ran across that in the Home Assistant forums

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.