Trying to make two paddle switches smart without messing with the electrical

Looking again, I think you're right, someone got creative with a wire nut...
Grab the cutters, snip the end off, feed a couple through, job done! :wink:

Ultra pro switches are made by GE / jasco. They're excellent high quality switches I have a house full them and they just work. Don't have issues with them.

The The main difference with the Zooz switches is that the Zooz may have a few more features... I believe most of the Zooz switches have a bulb mode which allows you to use smart bulbs in the fixture with the Zooz smart switch, something you normally would not want to without that feature. That allows you to have color change lighting by using smart color bulbs if that's interesting to you. That makes things more expensive as you need to have the smart switch and also smart bulbs.

But if you don't need the additional features of the Zooz then $10 a switch is a pretty significant savings. There are some really nice community drivers available for the GE/Jasco/Ultrapro switches.

2 Likes

I second this. Highly recommend them if you don't need any of the added features the Zooz switches/dimmers provide.

The Zooz switches are very shallow compared to the normal Z wave wall switch, not sure about the ultra pro.
A shallow switch will make wiring in those boxes easier.

Looks like it's a $10 difference for three switches...not per switch.

Looks like those Ultra Pros are also pretty low profile.

Yes, they are, don't have issues w/wiring w/them in my switch boxes.

Well if you're going to get all "accurate" on me then fine. :wink: Oops...I've been bitten by speed reading again. :smiley:

1 Like

Same - the Ultra Pros are my go-to switches. Have dozens of them and no issues. They are a snap to use and have a solid feel.

1 Like