Trouble with Zwave

Yes that is correct. What model of Multi-sensor do you have?

1 Like

yes that's it.
is it easy to udate firmware ?

HE has a firmware updater app you can install.

https://docs.hubitat.com/index.php?title=Device_Firmware_Updater

but you would need to get the ms6 firmware:

edit: you can use the HE firmware updater app for these files I think..

1 Like

Also make sure your ms6's are not joined with S0 security..

it says:
Due to limitations of the former Z-Wave protocol version, this application is only compatible with Model C-7 hubs.

I have C-4 hub

You might try this community based one..

Otherwise you would need to use a secondary controller stick..

1 Like

what does this mean ?

When you paired your MS6 if you pressed the button twice you'd activate "S0" security which is an overly chatty protocol that can bog down your mesh and is no longer recommended unless required for locks etc. This issue is more pronounced with the C-7 hub due to the Z-Wave 700 series chip spec which forces all non S2 devices that are S0 capable to use S0.

The good news is by default the pairing security is not set for S0 on the C-4 for devices like the MS6 so you are probably okay. The way to tell if your device is using S0 is:

Run your zwave logs for about an hour and see if there is any excess reporting or errors.
I had a faulty siren once disabled I haven't had any problems.

which logs ? where are they

It is only on C7 Hubs
Go to settings then z-wave details then select zwave logs.

For older Hubs you will have to go to each device and enable all logging then just go to the logging page and select the device at the top of the page to filter all the logs.

is there any way to get the hex or otz fw file from Aeon's exe ?
I can see a separate "hec" file on their site, but not sure if it's hex that's required.

Check out this thread...

Yep, ST forced the polling and several other "hacks" to make older zwave devices "work". While it created a good impression for new users with few devices - they would say "well it just worked on ST", in my opinion those hacks really start to cause problems as you get more devices and a bigger mesh.

you know it's not easy to drop a working (and lovely) device like Somfy ZRTSI just because it is not Zwave-Plus and "old"
so if ST made hacks to make it work, this is really better than saying "replace it" ...

just my humble opinion

Many HE users have non-plus devices that work in the mesh. It is good to be aware of the limitations, but I would suggest you drop it if it is serving an important use for you.

You might find the Z-Wave Mesh Tool app useful in better understanding the health and connectivity of your z-wave network.

The locks are FLiRS (sleepy) devices that need to be awakened. You need a “beaming” repeater near each lock to do that. Not all mains-powered devices are beaming repeaters.

I’ve used two different types of beaming repeaters: the Aeotec Range Extender 7 device, and the Ring Alarm Extender Gen 2 device. I prefer the Ring because it has an internal battery backup, and can send power fail events to your hub when your power goes out, so that you can do an orderly shutdown of your hub (it’s on a UPS, right?).

For sure, and I'm not giving a blanket "replace it" statement. Just trying to provide perspective/backstory on why some things can "just work" on ST, but that there are also tradeoffs they made, to make it "just work".

And yeah, there are for sure some devices where there are not a glut of options. Blinds, fans, etc. If you've got a working non-plus device, and there may not be a good plus replacement, for sure try to make it work. But you might need to know the backstory in order to make it work well, too.

I have 2 non-plus devices left in my house. They're 5-button scene controllers, and there wasn't a better option. However, with the recent release of the Zooz Zen32, I may be able to upgrade those now.

yes but not a high capacity UPS. is it critical ?
I mean it can't handle a sudden power down ?