Triggered rule with Delay

When I am running a triggered rule, and I put a delay in with a cancel on truth change. The cancel is ignored. It works on rules though. At least that is my experience.

That's because a triggered rule is only evaluated when the trigger fires, not when conditions change state.

We should fix RM to not offer the cancel-on-change options for a triggered rule.

Darn, I was hoping for the other way to be fixed :slight_smile: I'd rather be allowed to cancel the action if the rule part fails!

You just need to rethink how you are doing things. It's a contradiction in logic for the conditions to be "alive" for a triggered rule. The whole point of one is to only test those conditions upon the trigger event, and otherwise to ignore them.

If you want those conditions to be alive, you could use a trigger that causes a rule evaluation of a rule (instead of combining both). So when the trigger fires, it causes the rule to be evaluated. Then the cancel of change would take place.

That is one way to look at it... I am looking to repeat every 15 minutes my speaker saying "your garage is open" when the garage is open. since I have no way to repeat an action based on a rule that I can find, My choices are to create an app, or do a periodic trigger with a rule delay the action and cancel it if the rule becomes false.

I'll take any suggestions on how to accomplish this with rule machine. maybe give me a repeat function for speech in rule machine?

1 Like

This is how I am doing it. Installing WebCore in Hubitat was way easier than I thought it was going to be.

Unknown Device 43 is a Pushover Device for push notificaitons. Device 3, 4, and 5 are sonos zones.

You can have a RM trigger with 'periodic' as the trigger and 15 min. as frequency. The action would play your message periodically; you would set a restriction to disable the trigger with the state of a virtual switch (set by your open/closed sensor in another rule).

I haven't followed the webcore thread, does it directly use the hub, or do I need a webserver?

It gets installed to the hubitat hub and executes the pistons locally with no additional hardware. You can optionally install the IDE to a webserver for 100% local, but that only maters when writing the pistons so I opted out. @Roguetech wrote some great instructions to getting WebCore installed. Here is a link to his instructions I followed. They should really be placed in their own thread or sticky so they are easier to find because they are the best instructions I have found.

Thanks, I am trying you dual rule suggestion

I wish I had read this....and the changelog for the recent version of firmware before racking my brain and saying..."I knew this was an option but I can't find it for the life of me".

After reading this, at least it makes sense why having this feature was broken logic.

Yes, that "feature" is no longer available. Never should have been there in the first place.

1 Like