Trigger Question

Hey guys. What’s the difference between “Restrict trigger and pending actions” and “Restrict only the trigger?” I think I know, but that’s gotten me in trouble many times before LOL

One example: if you have a Basic Rule that triggers when a motion sensor becomes active and turns on the lights, then waits for it to be inactive plus a certain amount of time, that will work as you probably expect if you don't use restrictions. But if you add a restriction, say, based on time or mode, then the options you're asking about affects what happens: will the light still turn off after the sensor becomes inactive, even if a restriction was not in place when the rule "triggered" (motion active) but became restricted sometime after then while it was waiting?

Preventing both the trigger and cancelling all pending actions will prevent the light from turning off, as everything is cancelled. Restricting only the trigger will cause the light to turn off, as the actions that have been put into play will continue executing until/unless something else causes them to stop. The latter is what most people might want for this specific automation, but perhaps not for other kinds of automations. This option gives you that choice (without needing to revert to more complex apps like Rule Machine to create this logic--though a similar feature was also added to Rule Machine to make this easier there...and probably to facilitate the import of Basic Rules, also a new feature!).

4 Likes

Thanks buddy. Hope your day is going well. :slight_smile: