Trigger a Rule with Button Press

Is it possible when you press a button it triggers a rule? I have a Rule that puts my house into Away mode and announces it on the Google Home Speakers but I have 2 doors when i want to do this and trigger the same rule. I want to trigger the same rule and not input the same code twice for each switch. So is it possible to say Trigger is the button press, run "Set house to Away Mode"?

Put the button press as a trigger for the rule by picking button as the trigger capability.

I do something like this for my "Good Night" routine, which is a rule built out from a Virtual Button.

The I have things around the house (switches, Hue dimmers) that trigger the button press of that virtual button. So in the end, one rule but triggered from other rules devices

Action set up for physical devices:

1 Like

Ahh thanks!! Was not thinking about it that way! Perfect!

So I created 2 rules so far called "change mode to Away" Change mode to vacation" and there are no triggers for those rules. Then in my rule for the switch by the door there was an option that when double clicked, run this rules events only.. worked perfect!! I didn't see that there was a option to fire off another rule in there!

Thanks all for the help now any event can trigger the rule to set house in away mode!! And I only have to modify 1 rule when I want to change what Away mode means in my house

1 Like