Trigger a rule from a Google Voice command?

In my toddler's room, I have 2 RGBW light strips in a group, called "Joel's Room Light Strips". One under his bookshelf and one under his dresser. When he's resting, he's not allowed to get out of bed until they turn purple. I have a rule that turns them on purple at 35% at 7am, waits for motion from an under the bed motion sensor, and then waits 10 minutes and turns off.

It works really great. But I want to trigger it from a voice command too. He doesn't always take a nap at the same time each day, but his naps are generally about 2 hours long. So what I'd like to, is when we put him down for his nap, say something like "Okay Google, it's nap time." That would trigger a rule that would wait for 2 hours, and then trigger the wakeup rule I already have, so his purple light comes on automatically after 2 hours and turns off 10 minutes after motion is detected.

I can turn the light strip on and off with a voice command, set the color and the brightness, but I just can't quite figure out how to trigger a rule with a voice command.

You can set up a virtual switch in Hubitat and sync that to Google Home. You can then set up a Google Assistant Routine to turn the switch on when a specific phrase is spoken. You can use that switch turning on as the trigger for the rule and have the switch turn off with the strips at the end so it's ready to be used again next time. Having the switch on would also be an indicator to you that the timer is running and not over yet, if you have forgotten when it runs out.

3 Likes

I haven't used it but I bet you could incorporate Cobra's Countdown Timer so that you will always know how much longer until nap time is over.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.