Translates would help

Is there any way messages like this could provide the translation for some of the strings of hex digits?

The items you are discussion are actually data elements that define a fingerprint for the device. The data actually has no relevance to the user, just the device driver code. To translate would then require a translation back to the hex code for use in the driver.
Dave

1 Like

Of course it's for the driver but the numbers do have meaning such a manufacturer number translating via a standard database and flags telling the driver what to do.

They are obviously relevant to me if I'm diagnosing a problem just like ODB numbers are relevant. (I feel like complaining about PLH arguments -- don't worry your Pretty Little Head but I'll resist).

Doesn't hurt anything as a feature request. But I doubt it will get done, as almost no one needs to look at those values.

And those that do need to look at those values can easily look the codes up.

Here is one of my go-to page for zwave capabilities:
http://wiki.micasaverde.com/index.php/ZWave_Command_Classes

1 Like

And that's why we invented computers – to look things up in tables and present them! This was my viscerally negative reaction looking the z-code for SmartThings! WTF are all those hex values doing strewn around the code. Real programs should never have any numbers but 0 and maybe 1.

We figured this out half a century ago but apparently the memo never went out.

49 66 20 79 6f 75 20 63 61 6e 20 72 65 61 64 20 74 68 69 73 20 79 6f 75 20 6e 65 65 64 20 74 6f 20 67 65 74 20 6f 75 74 20 6d 6f 72 65 2e

Lol. I hear ya.

Maybe they will get around to it. If not, there are plenty of workarounds.

Realistically those values are only useful if you are making a custom driver. And I still say that if you ha e the capability to do that, having popup help on those values is of little use.

Well, I guess you can also check to see if a zwave device is standard or plus.... Yipee.

Again, I'm not against the idea. I just see it as low value. Not no value, though.

For me the value is in figuring out what is happening when things go wrong and in learning.