Tracking UK Hubitat Deliveries

Continuing the discussion from Hubitat Elevation for UK:

My UK Hubitat was couriered by USPS, and their tracking service is useless, and no UK contact support. It was sat somewhere in the UK for a week, and then couldn't be delivered because I hadn't paid the import tax - yet they hadn't even attempted to deliver, nor provided any links or ways to pay it

So, I've found out that Parcel Force handle some/most of their UK customer support on 0344 800 5550. Parcel Force confirmed it was being delivered by Royal Mail and even could advise it was in my local delivery office. But with no card, I couldn't collect it. I could pay for the taxes though. Hoping to receive it tomorrow.

Pretty ridiculuous, so thought I'd save anyone doing this the hours of pain trying to figure this all out.

The way it worked for me is that it was received at my local depot.
They then sent a letter saying duty was required and I can go pick it up and pay the duty.
No attempt is made to deliver as they cannot accept payment at the door.
I've had other things sent from the US and this has always been how it works for me anyway.
EDIT:I do agree about the tracking though. It showed it moving through the US but then it arrived in the UK and that was it.

1 Like

I'm also used to receiving lots of overseas parcels, but the couriers are generally better with their tracking and at least advise who they hand off to.

On the USPS tracking it said the item was in the UK a week ago, and stayed that way until today when it said they cannot deliver it. And then not too long after it said it was delivered, which is clearly not true. I'm not one for waiting, and to now have to wait for a letter.... nah! It's already been nearly 2 weeks.

It'll now be here tomorrow, and I'll let that letter find it's way after the bank holiday :wink:

1 Like

Mine was quite painless, until receiving the card from Royal Mail and handing over some more cash to collect it. Quite crap that you couldn't easily contact them though!

I reckon it's just my inpatience to be fair. I've only just got the SmartThings hub before realising the Hubitat existed, and realising the lack of local processing in the STs hub I was made up to realise all was not lost (previously had a Fibaro HC2).

So I've been checking the tracking status everyday rather than wait for a card. But given the uselessness of the tracking information I went on the search. I may have saved nearly a week's wait (with the bank holiday), so I suppose my inpatience was worth it.

Now... WTF is a SmartApp! :rofl:

1 Like

The wait was very painful, I'm just as impatient :smiley:

3 Likes

@Damo A SmartApp is SmartThings terminology for an application. Hubitat just calls it an App. THere are two places you can add custom code. Apps and Drivers ( SmartThings calls drivers "Device Handlers" (DH) )

Drivers receive (and send) commands to physical or virtual devices. Apps are the layer above. Driver Code is usually named with the name of one of the devices targeted. "Generic ZWave Dimmer" is an example of a driver. An App typically allows you to pick one or more devices to do what the App is built to do. "Homebridge" is an example of a custom application.

For either Custom Apps or Drivers, you find the code online, copy/paste it into the appropriate menu item.

Thanks @csteele. I think you may have missed my humour, but in fairness, knowing the nomenclature of the equivalents is really helpful.

MyEdit: I already know I’ll never be a comedian!

1 Like

This year or next.. eventually someone will bumble into this thread and find it as useful. :slight_smile:

1 Like