Too many switches in one RM command?

I have 97 light switches and bulbs turn off in my 'Goodnight' routine, you can see them turn off in a serial fashion and also a couple (the same 2) seem to get left on. Could this be down to the quantity?

Is there a more reliable/efficient way to do this with groups or similar? Or is it more likely a mesh issue? I had thought it wasn't a mesh issue because they reliably turn on automatically or by voice via Google.

Are they zwave or zigbee.

I have a bunch of zwave and if I send too many at a time it just overloads the mesh. I've had to rewrite my app to spread them out a bit and only send commands to those that need it, instead of sending a blanket off statement.

I know with zigbee though there is a way to send a broadcast command to avoid this issue. It's actually used in one of the built in apps and you may be able to leverage it. I can't remember if its in groups or in simple lighting.

What I would do though is probably set 10, pause set another 10 and go from there. 97 is a lot. I was having issues sending maybe 30.

2 Likes

To add to @gavincampbell's group suggestion there is also an optimization checkmark. From my understand the device won't be turned off if it is already off and won't be turned on if it is already on with that optimization.

I have a lot of devices as well but using the OOB groups app with the optimization feature turned on I can turn them all off at once with little drama (most of the time. Sometimes the mesh still gets overloaded if there are too many changes.)

About 97% Zigbee, 3% Zwave

You may be in luck. I just checked and its in the groups and scenes app that had the option. You can probably test making a group and then turning on the "Enable Zigbee group messaging" option and see if it solves your issue.

Yup, Zigbee group messaging is the way to go. Just setup a group for all lights. That makes it easy to add new lights to the rule too - just click them in the group list pull down menu.

Thanks, i'll test this out today.

Any luck with the test?

I set it up and it seemed to work, tonight when i say ''goodnight" i'll monitor if it's any faster/more efficient.

1 Like