Tips for reducing pet-induced motion sensor triggers?

The title kinda says it all: my 15-lb feline friend constantly triggers my motion sensors with his comings and goings around the house. Right now, I just have a couple of Iris motion sensors (v2 or v3... Not exactly sure which), and I've just received some Sylvania Lightify motion and temperature sensor, but I haven't set those up yet.

Any tips on reducing the sensitivity of my current devices? Suggestions on new ones? My Z-Wave mesh seems reasonably strong, so I'm open to Z-Wave sensors if there are any that folks recommend. I just went with Zigbee based on some posts where people seemed to prefer their response times.

I too, have fought the battle with a cat- and with the same sensors you’ve listed. For me, it came down to a lot of trial and error as I will not give up the responsiveness I get with these sensors. In most areas, I was able to mount them upside down, which changes the angle enough that they only catch the taller members of the family. In other places, I put a short length of plastic tubing over the lens, limiting the field of view.

Another option is to find custom ball joint mounts on sites like Etsy that allow for adjustability.

2 Likes

Good call on the adjustments... I'll have to try the plastic tubing, too. I'm especially intrigued by the ball joint mount idea. I remember seeing a post along those lines that had a nice-looking design, so I'll check into that.

1 Like

You can narrow the sensitivity angle (significantly) by making small paper tubes to put around the translucent part that protrudes from the front ala @mike.maxwell

1 Like

There is a built in app called Zone Motion Controllers which is supposed to allow you to setup a False Motion Reduction virtual device to use as your trigger so you can define how many devices have to be triggered in a set time frame, however in my testing I had it setup with a minimum Active Threshold of 2 and an Activation Window of 5 seconds and the virtual device still changed to active with just one of the motion detectors activating. Not sure what I had wrong in that.

2 Likes

I'd have half the motion sensors I currently do without cats. A lot of my motion lighting rules use two sensors - one which is out of the view of typical cat traffic, but captures human room entry and the 2nd sensor covers a wider area and serves to keep the light on, but not turn it on. Lots of trail and error

1 Like

A little rum or vodka in the water bowl might slow them down a bit. Could help???

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.