Tile attribute?

Just getting started with creating dashboards and the tiles within. There are a couple of things I am not thrilled with, first is the 3 dots in the top right and the other is the "name" of the template of the tile in the top section.. How can I remove those?

I think I am missing something else also in the dashboard. The dashboards also include the means to program the system, I would prefer that is not possible.

Thanks

You can remove the 3 dot by setting the dashboard to read only in the dashboard app settings.

The label can not be removed at this time but it has been asked to be added as a feature.

Not sure what you mean by dashboard can be used to program your system? You control what devices you out on the dashboard.

I was really frustrated with the HE dashboard. Ended up trying sharptools since it's supported and I really like it.

1 Like

Thanks Patrick,
I haven't found th e"Read Only" option yet, will keep looking. By "
program your system" I mean that the whole page that I get has all the local links to make changes to the system. From the dashboard I expected to only have access to the tiles.

tonsofguns

I looked at sharptools, and it looks pretty nice, but for me two things keep me away from it. It is in the cloud and I am too cheap to pay the 4$ a month for more than 15 tiles :))

I might give House Panel a try. I have everything I need to run that

Read Only option is under Apps->your dashboard->Layout Options
This removes the 3 dots from the tiles and the back arrow from the dashboard

Anything written in PHP is immediately a no go, demonstrative of a lack of true engineering skill.

Yup. The dashboard in HE leaves a LOT to be desired. It's clunky, it's hard to setup. I hate the silly arrow, slot based positioning, it desperately needs click and drag and dynamic sizing. It needs custom labeling and better and more ubiquitous templates. But it's free and local.

1 Like

Lol. Ok... You would rather not use something that works fine because you don't like how it was programmed?

Works fine is oxymoronic.
PHP is a travesty of a language when it wasn't obsolete. Full of holes.

It's not oxymoronic at all from an end user standpoint. If it works, it works.

I could care less if it was put together with PHP, duct tape, or Pascal. As long as it works the way I need it to.

But whatever. Each to their own.

1 Like

I'm pretty sure a local only control panel that doesn't have internet access (how I used it when I had it installed) is not the biggest risk I have in my house. Lol

To be clear I'm not arguing that PHP was a good choice. I'm arguing that most end-users don't care, as long as it works.

Boy did this thread take a left turn???

Thanks for the advice. I haven't written HE dashboard off, just finding my way.

1 Like

Sorry to derail. I'm very passionate about dashboards and such. :rofl:

1 Like

I am to, which is why I use SharpTools now when not at home... Unlike the HE dashboard, it actually works with all my equipment.

I prefer a local dashboard, in general, though. So I use HE dashboards as much as possible on my home panels, and link to things like SharpTools for thermostats, etc.

1 Like

Really, hadn't noticed :):yum:

1 Like

You should give it a try. I have run HP for a couple years without issue. Great program, and way more customizable than any dashboard I have seen yet. @kewashi has spent lots of times listeninng to users and making changes.

Seeing as TONS of website still utilize PHP I personally do not see this as a non starter. With support for such sites still needed for years in the future, PHP may not be as popular. It however is not going anywhere I think.

Yes I know PHP has holes. That is why installing HP should only be done inside your firewall. I see no reason to insult the developer (me) for having a lack of engineering knowledge just because I selected the popular PhP platform to build my hobby. This is my happy place and I want to keep it happy. As for my own engineering knowledge I have plenty and am comfy enough in my own skin that I won’t bore you with the evidence. My pick of PHP was simply because it was easy and fun - because this is a hobby for me. I did so with my eyes wide open about its security issues and architectural constraints. Had this been a pro job PHP would not have been on the table.

With all that said, HP works and it works well and I hope it brings others joy.

5 Likes

My tact was poor, I apologize.

4 Likes

Let me know if you want to give it a whirl. Everything you need to walk you through an install is on its new homepage at www.housepanel.net

New features come often and as @cwwilson08 noted there is no other dashboard with as much flexibility and customization abilities.

Soon I will be publishing a fast refresh method that replaces the annoying polling. Not such a big deal for Hubitat but it will be a game changer for my ST users. And if you have both Hubitat and SmartThings hubs running, both can be linked into a single HP dashboard.

I was at your site last night. Looks pretty nice. I might get in it tonight. I am moving away from ST. Had the cloud drop out to much. I will be sure to ask if I have questions.

Thanks

Ken,

Dang that was easy to install !! I have only a few switches on my Hubitat so far, but they are working just fine. Hopefully this weekend I will be tying my Arduino to my Hubitat, I switch several relays for different things. Have you any experience with this? I will keep you posted. Oh, I need to set it up to not require a login, how do I do that?

Thanks again!