Thoughts on C8 and the release too soon?

Yep got caught up in the hype and I should know better. I am not criticizing the Hubitat folks it's my observation. The good of it is that my Zwave is working better on C8 than C7 that was what I was hoping for.

Good observation you should wait to upgrade, no question.

3 Likes

lol, That's Priceless
Yep it's the customers fault too funny.

1 Like

Iā€™m one of the lucky ones that have had no serious issues with migrating one of my C-5 hubs to the C-8. I had one zigbee device drop off right after the switch (of >90 Zigbee devices) and none since. I manually migrated my z-wave devices from another C-5 and they are working so much better that I even added a few ring motion sensors that were so problematic before that I had decommissioned them and they are also working great now. As for Hue sensors and button devices; they were always finicky on my C-5 and for whatever reason they are working perfectly on my C-8, so go figure.

IT companies like Hubitat, that build products to integrate with 3rd party products, are in a no-win situation.

Don't support every Tom, Dick, and Harry device that came from a whitelabeling Chinese factory? Oh, you're not compatible.

Add support for new devices and chipsets as soon as possible? Oh, you're buggy.

Remember the thing about only upgrading to a new version of Windows when it's a .1 release? That's because Microsoft has to support EVERYONE. They literally have code in new versions of Windows to ensure that versions of Photoshop from 25 years ago can still run. And what does it cost to maintain that level of compatibility? Literally billions. And it still isn't perfect.

What you see online is the small percentage who have problems. If you don't want to take a chance on being one of them, it's okay to slow your upgrades a bit. My lights turn on just fine with my C7. I'll get a C8 at some point and migrate some things over. The world keeps spinning.

4 Likes

agreealways the customer fault!

2 Likes

Not trying to downplay the less than optimal experience that some users had to go through. We've posted a warning early on when incidents related to Zigbee migration started to come through. Our engineers have been working to resolve these issues, although some incidents are still under investigation.

However, Aqara devices in particular, have not been tested by our engineers on the C-8 (or any Hubitat Elevation hub for that matter), as they have been problematic on all Hubitat Elevation models in part due to their use of some non-standard Zigbee extensions. We were hoping that the new Zigbee 3.0 in the Hubitat Elevation C-8 will be able to handle these devices better, but based on the increased number of reports that we are seeing, these devices perform even worse on the C-8 than previous models.

3 Likes

No problem sorry that Aqara is less useable on C8, I have used the C7 and a Mesh with those devices and they're working fine now. It's really unfortunate that they are so temperamental on the Hubitat platform they are a good value otherwise. So interesting enough I have a new Aqara P1 motion sensor and it works very well on the C8. Go figure, but the older Aqara's no go.

I do think telling everyone that comes to the forum looking for help w/the C8 that they should have "known better" than to purchase a new release of a product is a bit of a step too far. For tech geeks/folks like us who have been hanging out here and especially those who have been through the C7 intro, yes, we should know better. (Yet I still updated immediately! :wink: ) But for others I think that's asking a bit much.

When you come to the Hubitat site the C-8 is identified as the hot new kid on the block ready to automate. Especially w/the sexy new antennas on the C-8, the chance that new users would choose the C7 instead w/out some very direct advice seems pretty small. I don't think we should expect all of HE customers to get that they should wait (and for how long?) or purchase "old" versions of the hub that aren't as good, "because their old," right? :slight_smile: We've been taught by marketing (and our friends showing off new stuff) to believe that "Just released" means the best, not the most dangerous. Look at all the people who grab the newest release of their preferred phone the second it hits the stores.

I'm not saying HE is doing anything wrong in their release timing or marketing of the C-8, but I'm also saying that every customer who purchases the C8 and expects it to "just work" isn't doing anything wrong, either.

And we need to remember that the C8 issues aren't just a bunch of odd edge cases of off-brand devices and smaller "annoyance" problems. The issues a subset of customers are dealing with are fundamental and for some quite debilitating - entire Zigbee mesh down repeatedly and sometimes won't come back up, smaller set of Z-Wave mesh problems, devices falling off the mesh repeatedly, working setups on their C5 or C7 failing on the C8. And the devices aren't odd-ball stuff - Hue motion sensors, Iris motion sensors, Sengled bulbs, Third Reality plugs - all officially supported by HE.

So I don't think we should be telling anyone who shows up here w/C-8 issues that it's their fault, they should have known better not to update or not to buy a C-8 to start their home automation. That's just too broad a brush and a bit harsh, IMHO.

9 Likes

Maybe they decided to own up to their Zigbee 3.0 standardization in their latest implementation.

2 Likes

This thread is getting more enteraning by the hr. I must have missed that on the Amazon or your buy now page. It's not just a zigbee migration thing either. Doesn't matter if you migrated or not Zigbee is yeah," less than Optimal" Sure people with good quality repeaters are able to not have devices drop off. I seen the problem as soon as Looked over my Zigbee logs and dug a little deeper. Is the retail version different from the beta tested one?

Well said, I think they claim most of the devices are backwards compatible, well so much for that statement.

we can only hope they did!

Well I upgraded on day 1, migration from C7 was pretty painless. I have a mixture of zigbee and z-wave devices and quite a few aqara zigbee devices. Everything seems to work better for me. I live in a 3200sqft house that is at least 300 years old with walls so thick you could hide a car in them. Against all advice I set the zigbee power to full and I have no problems with anything.
Maybe I am a lucky one but for me hubitat life is good for now at least.
One point I will make though is someone above mentioned that they've not updated the firmware for quite sometime. If it aint broke don't fix it philosophy. That can be a dangerous thing as sometimes the broken things aren't always visible. Think security!

No, they didn't.
I have seen several published e-mails from Aqara support stating that their Zigbee products are intended to work and are tested only with Aqara Zigbee hubs.

The effect that the newer Aqara Zigbee devices play better with other hubs is just because Aqara has used newer SoC electronics inside, respectively newer Zigbee stack which lacks the low-level communication specifics/bugs in the previous devices generations.

3 Likes

That's a lesson you eventually unlearn, after enough experience. Never install a .0 version of Windows. Never buy a car in its first model year.

I think some people (me among them) are like we are because we've seen this all before. We know there are 2 kinds of people who come post on the internet:

1. People who post "I have XYZ device, and when I pair it, it's doing this and this, but not this. Here's what I've tried. Can anyone help?" They generally get help and end up happy.

2. People who post "It doesn't work. The hub was released too soon." These people are just complaining and not giving anything that anyone could use to help them to a solution.

BTW, this second group are the same people who come in here and post "Hubitat hasn't made any updates lately. Are they even still working on anything?"

This is one of the best online communities I've ever encountered. Come with genuine questions and looking for solutions, and you're very likely to find what you want.

8 Likes

I did the same and have had no real problems either.

Or Linux
Or BSD
Or MacOS
Or Hubitat firmware
Or UniFi updates
Or...

:slight_smile:

7 Likes

That's for damned sure!

1 Like

you have to Unless you have a small house with no walls or really good repeaters. The zigbee Radio on the C8 is weak.

How did you determine that? Genuine question. I never look at my zigbee side on my C-8, as it has always "just worked" so far.

1 Like