Thoughts on best behind-the-switch dimming modules

Hi there - I'm looking for advice on which dimmer module to use behind a momentary push button. I'd like to be able to turn the lights on and off and also dim with the push button. I've been looking at using an Aeotec nano dimmer, a Fibaro Dimmer 2, or Qubino Mini dimmer, and would love some advice from anyone who has used these. Is one more reliable the the others? Has any one been able to compare behavior, or ease of use/installation/programmability? Are there other brands that people have had better experience with? I'm also wondering if anyone knows of any that can control more than one load (I've found some that are switches but not dimmers.) Thanks so much in advance.

I’ve used the arotec micro and nano dimmers and switches and never had a reason to try out the others. They’re great for wiring into a lamp, too.

I have just installed a Samotech SM323. It is a straight swap for the existing dimmer module. Mine does buzz but the switch is far enough away that it is not a problem. Others have no buzzing see this thread Back on the hunt for dimmer switches after the AOne dimmers failed to meet family approval

@durable-navy-blue-ot - Thank you for this - This is exactly what I was looking for. And I’m really intrigued by using these in a lamp as well! I’d love to know more a bout how you do this - do you hijack the bulb socked in some way with the dimmer?

@tanneronline - Thank you for that link - there is some great info there. (The link to the Vesternet site mentions that some of these dimmer modules will take a 3-position momentary switch input, which is exactly what I’m looking for - i.e. two push button controls - press and hold upper will raise level, press and hold lower will dim level, and a momentary push of either will toggle them on or off. Now I just need to find the modules they’re talking about!)

Lamps which have a switched socket won’t work, or at least I haven’t found a way to do what you’re describing.

Lamps which have a switch on the base are what I do this with, and it’s straightforward. I’ve also modified lamps which have a switch in the cord by replacing the switch with a box which contains the switch and the accessory dimmer, but it’s not as elegant.

@durable-navy-blue-ot - great, thanks for this - I never thought about this as a possibility!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.