Thoughts on a doorbell

Ahhh so I could use an outdoor bluetooth speaker! Genius!

1 Like

Through what you would pipe your dogs barking I hope? :sunglasses:

1 Like

Through what I would tell solicitors to go away!

Yep, my Mom's house has 3 doors that need a bell. In most older doorbells, they would have a ding for one door, and ding-dong for the other instead of totally separate doorbells.

1 Like

Question:
Does anyone here use a Ring Video Doorbell to trigger Hubitat to tell Sonos to play something?
Is there a lot of latency in that? Can I eliminate the Ring going to a hardwired chime?

I have my front door motion sensor setup to that if there is motion it plays a routine in Alexa that I can voice announce, play music, make a dog bark or anything else. Our dogs just ignore whatever Alexa does so it works out good.

Indeed ... was thinking with a button/chime at each door maybe at least they would go bark at the right place, which would also let humans know which door someone was at :slight_smile:

hah, interesting that they could tweak the analog systems, at least a bit.

I believe the simplest way to accomplish this is to integrate your Ring Doorbell with Amazon Alexa (even if you don’t own an Echo devices.) Doing so will allow you to create an Alexa Routine that is triggered by your Ring Doorbell. Have this Alexa Routine turn on a Virtual Hubitat Switch device that has its auto-off feature enabled after a few seconds. Now your Hubitat hub has a trigger that can be used by Rule Machine, Notifications, or whatever App you choose. These Apps can then have your Sonos play whatever TTS you’d like.

You can even have your Sonos play a local .mp3 file off your hub. I actually have a contact sensor on our mailbox play the Blue’s Clues “we’ve just got a letter” song. The kids, although grown, still get a kick out of it when they are home.

1 Like

We have 2 "front doors" as well. The original, and the "family door" which leads into what was once a garage but was enclosed at some time. Makes all the delivery food ordered during the quarantine a bit of and adventure, and the Ring doorbells very nice even if they aren't perfect.

3 Likes

Oh, so James gets a "bravo."

Typical. Mom also always liked @james.fischer best...

1 Like

Yep, Mom does like ME better, and has since the Smothers Brothers were on TV beating that line to death.

But on the issue of sound to play when someone pushes the doorbell, @april.brandt could not do better than the chorus of the 2000 Baha Men hit song "Who Let The Dogs Out?"

1 Like

Ahhhh....Les Freres Smothers. Good memories.

Dogs out does kinda nail it, @april.brandt. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yours is great because it was very impromptu. James' was a bravo because anyone who could come up with that gripe off the cuff deserves a bravo. Look at mine .. I barely got a like.
:grin:
:kiss:

2 Likes

This solution works well for dealing with solicitors. :grinning:

4 Likes

Very nice.