Third Reality Water Leak Sensor not reporting battery level

Last month I purchased two THIRDREALITY Zigbee Water Leak Sensors from Amazon and paired them with my Hubitat Elevation hub without any issues. They report well and I can see their battery level in device info and in my dashboard.

This month I purchased two more THIRDREALITY Zigbee Water Leak Sensors and paired them with my Hubitat Elevation hub without any issues. Unfortunately, their battery level is NOT available under device info or in my dashboard.

I checked the model number and both the previous purchase and the recent purchase were for model 3RWS18BZ.

The C7 Hubitat Elevation Hub is running firmware of 2.3.4.134.

I have unpaired and repaired the 2 recent sensors and the battery level is still not available.

Here is the device data for the 2 recent sensors that are not reporting the battery level:

Data * endpointId: 01

• application: 1F
  • manufacturer: Third Reality, Inc
  • model: 3RWS18BZ

I have updated the firmware of the 2 recent sensors and the battery level is still not available. When I update the firmware it updates to the following:

• firmwareMT: 1233-D3A3-0000001F
  • softwareBuild: 00000031

I have unpaired and repaired the sensors several times with no success getting the battery level to display.

Here is the device data for the 2 previous sensors that ARE reporting the battery level:

Data * endpointId: 01

• application: 18

I emailed Third Reality support a week ago but have not gotten any reply. Any suggestions as to how to get the 2 recent sensors that I purchased to get them to display the battery level?

What driver are you using for the old ones and is it the same driver being used for the new ones? I am using the Generic Zigbee Moisture Sensor driver with mine and I see the battery level. It may be that there was a hardware change that keeps the battery level from being displayed.

I had a similar issue but after a few days it started reporting. If they've just been added maybe give them a bit.

I'm using the same driver for both the old sensors and the new sensors - Generic Zigbee Moisture Sensor (no temp).

I had read of similar experience of issue resolving itself for others. Unfortunately, it's been a couple of weeks and I've not had any luck getting the battery level to display on the new sensors.

Often such battery reporting issues with Zigbee sleepy devices are resolved by pairing the device again to HE hub, in a close distance .

Have you tried this ?

I have the same sensor and it reports battery. Installed about 8/22 and the batteries are still 100%, even with the sensor sounding the alarm for a total of 5-6 minutes since install.
Data section looks like below:

• endpointId: 01
  • application: 17

This has been identified and resolved. Fix is coming in the next release.

4 Likes

Have you tried the Generic Zigbee Moisture Sensor (Not the one marked (no temp))? That is the one I am using.

Edit: Of course, while I was writing this and just as I hit to post it, the reply from @bobbyD showed up. Hopefully, the next release will address the thermostat issue I wrote about in another topic also.

1 Like

It happened that I too purchased a few of these and came across the same issue. :slight_smile: Unfortunately, I don't have the Zen Zigbee Thermostat...

BUT...as your luck would have it... @mike.maxwell does, and I see that he is looking into your thermostat problem already. If he can reproduce, you can expect a fix in the next release, also...

1 Like

Thanks. That's great news. I'll wait for the next release. Any idea when it'll come out?

1 Like

Soon, and not a minute late.

4 Likes

Yes, with no luck.

Interesting... Has it generated more than one battery report since that usage period? I've got one of these (showing same 'application: 17' currently still on SmartThings; it has been showing 37% battery even after replacing the batteries. Seems to work fine, but no battery status, ever. SmartThings doesn't seem to show an available firmware update (at least when I prod it from the IDE),

That's a common problem with a lot of battery-powered devices healthStatus monitoring in Hubitat. The leak sensor may have become inoperative for weeks or months, but the battery will still show 100% or whatever the last received battery report was... but it will never detect a water leak when it happens!

2 Likes

The most important thing about a sensor is to know if it's working or not.
We wouldn't be happy if we had to look at it with unreliable or questionable views.

2 Likes

I don't know how old this update actually is and I can't find any posts about it, but better late than never. I just randomly checked to see if there was a firmware update, and I was able to update my sensors from version 17 to 22. The battery level is now reporting correctly instead of being around 40 percent with brand new batteries. Hopefully the reliability continues, long battery life and rock solid 12hr battery report intervals.

To add a data point. I have seven Third Reality leak sensors that have all reported 100% battery for the last year. A firmware update using the Generic Zigbee Moisture Sensor (no temps) driver works and these devices are now reporting battery levels that seem to be correct.