Third Reality Motion Sensor - anyone using it?

I'm thinking of using it more as a presence sensor than for lights. So more along the lines of how long could one remain seated before it thinks the room is empty?

Depends on where the sensor is. I have a motion sensor right under my computer, and it detects motion for as long as Iā€™m sitting in front of the computer.

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

I've had decent luck with these, and they seem to react pretty quickly. But I do wish I could turn off the LED on them on motion activation, as that would extend the battery life and also keep them from standing out on a white wall. I'd have to check on them with more logging, but I think the "cool down" after initial activation is 30 seconds? Battery life in a very busy area for me is NOT 1 year and it seems to vary by device (I got a 4 pack, Hub reports individual devices as "3RMS16BZ"), I think I'm getting about 6 months (again, I wish I could turn off the LED).

1 Like

I have one about 12 feet from the hub, with one wall between them and I've gotten over a year out of the battery. Child devices that are at the edge of the hub's network range will have shorter battery life. Adding a nearby Zigbee repeater will improve this.

I just linked and installed a second one. I don't notice the LED as being an issue. Battery life for the one I have had running has been good and it doesn't need special (read: expensive) batteries when it does need new ones.

I just ordered a four pack. I will be replacing Iris V1 motion sensors. I just had one of those stop responding. I changed the battery and it was flashing as if unpaired even though I had not reset it. It was recognized by my C7 hub, but then it never stopped flashing and never started reporting events. I guess it is just time to replace it along with the rest of the Iris V1 motion sensors. So far, the contact sensors have not caused issues, but I'll see what happens down the road.

Third reality solved the battery problems by replacing the back cover of the sensor, they supplied it to me free of charge.
What do you think should be the maximum distance to place this sensor with a Hubitat C8? I use these sensors as part of an alarm system, I can't use repeaters because there are too many power failures in the area. All the components that are part of the alarm system has battery backup, including sensors, siren and the Hubitat C8. Any recommendation for a battery motion sensor with a longer range? I purchased a Zooz ZSE18 with z-wave plus, but the battery is consumed in a matter of days.