Third Reality Motion Sensor - anyone using it?

Thanks for the detailed information. I ended up by scoring some Iris V3s but I had some trouble with one of the two units that I paired. It kept trying to update firmware, so unpaired both for the time being. Going to keep the Third Reality on my list in case I can’t get the Iris ones to work.

These are actually pretty nice. Slim, reasonable response (about the same as Aqara as @aaiyar mentioned), come with batteries and mounting screws and adhesive strip, easy to open, join easily and have decent Zigbee range without a repeater (much better than the Sonoff).

I paid just $20 CAD each.

THIRDREALITY Zigbee Motion Sensor, Pet Friendly, Zigbee Hub Required, Works with SmartThings or Echo Devices with Build-in Zigbee hub https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B08RRRWK6B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_i_BGKCN3S38V02Q0SNZ0MG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

6 Likes

I’m pretty happy with them as well. There’s a few in my cart currently that I need to pull the trigger on.

1 Like

I really like these but need a thermo. Anyone know if they added that capability or do you have a zigbee thermo recommendation? Need a small device to put in a waterproof box so size and range are the criteria. Ugly is ok :slight_smile:

Centralite has one:
https://www.amazon.com/Centralite-Humidity-Sensor-SmartThings-ZigBee/dp/B07BSXX5TD

Sonoff does too but it does not appear to be Zigbee 3 like their other stuff so ymmv.

1 Like

I just installed two and they work very well. They paired immediately but my Hubitat recognized them as moisture sensors. I just changed them to generic Zigbee motion sensor (no temp) in the Device and they assumed the correct identity after reboot.

The rectangular shape is dictated by the two AAA batteries which I regard as a plus.

I don't know if the incorrect identity issue resides in the device or in the (my) Hubitat.

THIRDREALITY Zigbee Motion Sensor 2 Pack, Zigbee Hub Required, Pet Friendly, Works with SmartThings, Aeotec, Hubitat or Echo Devices with Build-in Zigbee hub

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09MVKWBFF/

2 Likes

I am using some of these. I've been using with smartthings and now moving them into my Hubitat environment. They paired easily and right away. My only issue is the battery is only showing 57% on hubitat with new batts. Anyone else run across this?

Third Reality has some odd battery reporting issues as of late -- there's another thread lately about the motion sensor in particular, and @mike.maxwell has tried one fix for that already, but the issue still seems to persist for (at least) some of us.

Interestingly enough, there's another few posts lately about battery issues with the 3R contact sensor too.

I have one each contact and motion, and mine are both reporting battery as 3x% when both should actually be higher, but this odd reporting issue on both devices just started very recently for me -- previously they were both reporting battery OK.

1 Like

SO has there been ANY attempt to fix this????
I have 5 of these contact sensors and they ALL exhibit the SAME problem. I know it isn't the battery as ALL the voltages are at least 3 volts, AND I tested one of the sensors with a bench power supply, and the voltage needs to be around 4.35 for 100% reporting.
They did report correctly when I first installed them, but they have failed within the last couple of updates.
Same driver, same sensor DIFFERENT firmware. So NO it isn't the sensor....

1 Like

just wanted to say thank you to community for this thread, can these be used for lighting? all my zwave sensors are too slow so looking to put some zigbee around the house

How long after walking by one of these sensors does HE read it as active? Does anyone know?

I don't see why not. I use their contact sensor to turn lights on and off when I enter/leave a room and it works great

It's fast enough. Is something else out there faster? I dunno, maybe, but it all ends up depending on your own mesh & network anyway, so who knows.

I was using it to turn on bathroom lights before deciding against using motion for those, but that wasn't due to the 3R sensor. We had no complaints about its actual performance -- it's a solid, dependable device.

2 Likes

I'm thinking of using it more as a presence sensor than for lights. So more along the lines of how long could one remain seated before it thinks the room is empty?

Depends on where the sensor is. I have a motion sensor right under my computer, and it detects motion for as long as I’m sitting in front of the computer.

2 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

I've had decent luck with these, and they seem to react pretty quickly. But I do wish I could turn off the LED on them on motion activation, as that would extend the battery life and also keep them from standing out on a white wall. I'd have to check on them with more logging, but I think the "cool down" after initial activation is 30 seconds? Battery life in a very busy area for me is NOT 1 year and it seems to vary by device (I got a 4 pack, Hub reports individual devices as "3RMS16BZ"), I think I'm getting about 6 months (again, I wish I could turn off the LED).

1 Like

I have one about 12 feet from the hub, with one wall between them and I've gotten over a year out of the battery. Child devices that are at the edge of the hub's network range will have shorter battery life. Adding a nearby Zigbee repeater will improve this.

I just linked and installed a second one. I don't notice the LED as being an issue. Battery life for the one I have had running has been good and it doesn't need special (read: expensive) batteries when it does need new ones.

I just ordered a four pack. I will be replacing Iris V1 motion sensors. I just had one of those stop responding. I changed the battery and it was flashing as if unpaired even though I had not reset it. It was recognized by my C7 hub, but then it never stopped flashing and never started reporting events. I guess it is just time to replace it along with the rest of the Iris V1 motion sensors. So far, the contact sensors have not caused issues, but I'll see what happens down the road.

Third reality solved the battery problems by replacing the back cover of the sensor, they supplied it to me free of charge.
What do you think should be the maximum distance to place this sensor with a Hubitat C8? I use these sensors as part of an alarm system, I can't use repeaters because there are too many power failures in the area. All the components that are part of the alarm system has battery backup, including sensors, siren and the Hubitat C8. Any recommendation for a battery motion sensor with a longer range? I purchased a Zooz ZSE18 with z-wave plus, but the battery is consumed in a matter of days.