Thinking of upgrading my network

This is true only with IPS and DPI on.

I have a USG3P and 1Gig ISP and it works beautifully with only DPI on.

it doesn’t for everyone and for myself

plus you can get the 4 pro or uxg pro and turn on dpi/ips and get higher bandwidth

1 Like

I have gone all in on unifi myself and I blame (and thank) @ogiewon 100% for this. I previously had eero pros and also used the Netgear RAX80 (the wifi 6 stealth bomber) both of which couldn't seem to handle my wifi clients reliably.

I have now been using my UDM Pro for about a year and I'm very happy. It has hurt my pockets quite a bit but I added a few devices hear and there to spread out the pain over time. Btw, quite a bit of this was funded by the stimulus as well...so I totally get where the OP is at.. This is what I'm using now.

I have also migrated almost all my cameras to unifi protect. I never liked the idea of cloud based cameras and refused to use any inside my home. The UDMP allowed me to easily setup my own local recording, easily add cameras with remote viewing when needed as well. I now have the Protect doorbell, a G4pro and G4 bullet for outside my home. A G3 flex in my garage. 3 G3 Protect Instants for my patio and my family room. The Instants are $30 wireless cams...love those puppies. Only non unifi camera left is my Ring Floodlights in the back. Can't wait to get that one gone as well.

Best of all, with ~60 wireless devices and another 15 or so wired connections (10 poe)...and with Intrusion Detection/Prevention turned on, I can still max out my 1000mbps internet connection. I am a fan of the udmp to say the least. It's not a cheap solution, but you can spend as much as you need and grow as your budget allows.

1 Like

I just un-unified my house and never happier. I am cheap, and went cheap but very effective. Running pfsense on an older I7-4700, a cisco 2960 24port POE switch, and 2 unifi AC-LR access points. I was sick of unifi and their crappy firmware screwing up things. I pulled out the LR AP's, and replaced them with 3 older orbis(RBR50 + 2-RBS50 satellites) over this weekend.
Compared to Unifi, the orbis are so much better, better roaming, more even signal, and zero lags. I know roaming is heavily client dependent, but the orbis do it very well. I have the orbis in AP mode, behind my pfsense box, using gigabit interconnection with the satellites.. The router ties into everything with a HP NC364T Quad Port Server Adapter. I have 100% signal everywhere, including the yard & garage.

3 Likes

wait until you get the G4 protect :slight_smile:

I went to a UDM Pro last year and have had it working quite well. Still trying to get hold of some newer APs though. I am not using their beta software and it seems pretty stable so far.

I doubt they'll be making the Instants in a G4 variant anytime soon. My understanding is that one of the main differences between the G3 and G4 line is the object recognition being built into the camera itself. Getting that crammed into a tiny shell with a $30 price tag seems unlikely anytime soon. Plus the G3 Instants got released out if Beta like a month ago. Releasing a G4 Instant soon would be :exploding_head:

My home network is mostly Wi-Fi devices, and as such I invested years ago in a good quality home Wi-Fi mesh product, Eero (now owned by Amazon). If I was to expand my home network, I would look closely into Ubiquiti UniFi products (entire stack, router/firewall, access points, PoE switches).

One other device that has got my attention as of late is QNAP new's PoE switch / virtualized server /NAS combination all-in-one device. For a small business, or advanced home network, that is VERY attractive as it checks a lot of boxes for the price point.

I currently support 9 Unifi networks (soon to be 11 with 2 new clients onboarding this/next month), with lots of devices in total. These range in size from our personal home/office, to a client with a 6 acre 'complex'.

I only post that because I'm not getting into a huge debate over what I'm about to say.

I LOVE Unifi. I use, I sell it, I support it, chill!

That's said, is it right for everyone?! NO

Having a lot of exposure I can say they are by far the best from a deployment/management standpoint. I can do anything to any of those networks anytime, anywhere in the world, even from my phone, and that's awesome! However they are NOT the best for pure speed, distance, or mesh reliability. I can get more throughput from an ASUS router/WAP then I can from a LR Pro Wi-Fi 6 (U6-LR-EA) Not a ton of difference, but they are out paced by some.

Firewall - by far the worst thing in Unifi. I only run them if a clients need NO firewall management or rules needed (why you see more CK then UDM). Can you do it, Yes. Can you set up a syslog server, and point my UDM/USG to it for logging so we can figure if/why the firewall in blocking traffic, Yes. Should we have to after investing in a UDM/USG, NO! Until they have even a half decent onboard firewall log - not happening here!

While I understand most don't need the firewall log. IMO If you want 'Unifi'ed management, fancy diagrams/charts, and mobile control of your network get Unifi! If your expecting it to "add something" to a home network over what can be done with a good NetGear/Asus/TP Link router, or APs you might be disappointed

2 Likes

i have a unifi system and love it. the control without having to learn CLI commands like cisco is great. the gui based access like meraki has, also a plus. it's quite intuitive once you get used to it.

i'm actually in the process of upgrading my firewall/cloudkey/core switch. not sure if this is fully allowed, but if you're interested, i wouldn't mind selling it (USG-3, CK gen 1, 8 port 60 W switch). if it is allowed and you're interested, feel free to DM me. if it's not allowed, please remove any mention of the sale and leave the comment about me enjoying the system

I agree, the firewall does leave a lot to be desired, but you can investigate the logs via SSH. Connect to the firewall and run "show log" and it'll show you the most recent /var/log/messages file. it will save up to 10 I believe before it truncates data. teaming the show log/cat command with grep, i'm able to filter out the noise from my logs and focus on my firewall rules

what are you upgrading to?

going from the aforementioned USG-3/CK gen 1/US-8-60W to a UDMP/24 port gen 2 switch

1 Like

AFAIK there’s no prohibition on users buying/selling devices from one another here :slightly_smiling_face:.

Sorry, looking for UDM myself and 16 port switch.

1 Like

I have a US-16-150W switch to sell :slight_smile:

This maybe? :wink:

I'm making the deep end dive into UniFi, got a UDM Pro and 2 of the WiFi 6 access points arriving Thursday

I can't seem to find solid info if I do/don't need a managed UniFi switch to separate IoT devices out into their own VLAN

2 Likes

I know, but you should not have to at that level. I should be able to it "ALL" from my phone greedy, I know lol

You can VLAN tag with or with out. Unifi calls it "switch port profile" on the switches. It works fine as long as everything is tagged properly.

2 Likes

Another place to peek at is r/homelabsales