Thinking of moving over but just a few concerns

I'm on SmartThings like most people thinking about moving over it seems. I have checked compatibility and all of my devices are supported natively even the Jasco/GE 26933 26931 switches that aren't natively supported with SmartThings, That is cool.

My other issue with my current setup is when the internet is being a little iffy, doesn't really ever go out, normally something funky happens and a modem restart fixes it but in that time all the automations go to shit and using motion sensors to turn room lights on you can see the issues.

So in all honesty I have two concerns. I understand there is no app. I also have a basic understanding of these dashboards. I'm assuming they are like a local actiontiles in practice correct? Can you also design these dishboards to work on a cell phones? How do you access the dashboards on your phone? Locally I'm sure it's an IP address but what about remotely? I have two things I care about seeing the status of remotely. My multisensor in my server rack and my OpenGarage controller. When you set up a dashboard do you have the option to choose if it's local or remote? I read something about using the Hubitat endpoints or something which makes it really easy to get access over the internet. So how would that work exactly. Does it give me like a website to go and log into or is it like a public ip address?

My second concern is with my Open Garage garage door controller. This isn't a huge deal since I already have remote access to it via Blynk integration but I was curious if porting over the custom SmartThings handler would be possible because I don't know how to do it lol. (This is an awesome device is anyone cares)

Yes, they can work over cell/mobile/remote connections. Native Hubitat dashboards as well as the integrated SharpTools.io dashboard (which I prefer).

Hubitat provides local and cloud links that you can bookmark or save as a home screen item. So you can save an icon that will work when you are on your home network but your Internet is down (ie: local) as well as one that will work when you are away and not on a VPN back to your home (ie: remote/cloud).
Sharptools.io is an app on your device. It does require an Internet connection

With Hubitat's native Dashboard, you setup your dashboard and then they provide local and cloud links to the Dashboard. If you want local access, use the local link. If you want cloud access, use the cloud link. Both go to the same Dashboard(s).

MakerAPI provides a world of ability. It's a playground for those that like to tinker with programming and using API's though.
If you want remote control of your devices, you can use either the native Dashboards app or the SharpTools.io app. If you want more control, you need a VPN from remote into your network where your hub is located.

Just about anything in SmartThings can be ported to Hubitat.
See this topic https://community.hubitat.com/t/app-and-driver-porting-to-hubitat/812

Thanks for your reply. I'm really thinking about picking this up. I did think of another question though. In regards to z wave range it does support z wave plus correct? Also is the initial hub range for the z wave network comparable to smartthings v2? My network right now is quite strong with no lag issues so I don't think it will matter but just wanted to ask.

Yes, the hub will ship with either a Nortek HUSBZB-1, a combination Z-Wave and ZigBee USB stick that you insert into the hub, which does support Z-Wave plus (compliance statement here: https://products.z-wavealliance.org/products/1494). In the event you happen to be outside the US, you may get an Aeon Z-Stick for Z-Wave instead (and in the event you are in the US and happen to have one, you could still use it--if the Z-Stick is present, it favors that over the HUSBZB-1 for Z-Wave).

I'm not sure anyone has done any radio strength comparisons. I haven't had any problems, but I also have a few Z-Wave repeaters in my house, and I don't have a lot of Z-Wave devices in general. If you also have repeaters (pretty much any device with constant/wired power like smart switches, plugs, or other means of mains or USB power), you'll probably be fine. If you have "perimeter devices" like smart locks or garage door openers, you might need to be a bit more careful, at least when joining, since some may require being close to the hub. Besides some issues pairing such devices, the only other problems I've read about are the "old" GE switches (and probably others but these were the most popular) that don't report physical on/off events back to the hub, thus creating a need for polling if you have automations that depend on this state (ST handled this automatically and should theoretically be worse since it does it whether you need/want to or not, whereas on Hubitat the devices and frequencies are up to you--but also off by default).

1 Like

My ST hub in the same location with the same devices failed to reach certain rooms at times. My HE hub reaches everywhere. I figure it’s mesh ability and/or it’s radio strength is better.

While the dashboards are clunky to set up, I have to say one of the things I LOVE about them is how customizable they are. You can select different layouts...I have one called Favorites that we typically access via cell phone, and another one that I designed for a wall-mounted tablet. I made them different sizes...the phone one was designed for portrait orientation, and tablet for landscape.

One of the other nice things about Hubitat is that you can put the same device in multiple places. I know a lot of people like the Rooms concept in ST....Hubitat gives you the same ability but you can put devices in multiple rooms, so that's nice too.

Here's my Tablet dashboard:

...and Favorites

3 Likes

One thing I've found a bit limiting with the native dashboards is that they are not scrollable and they will not adjust for the size or orientation of the device using it. So, you almost need to create a whole set of dashboards for a wallmounted tablet and then a whole other set of dashboards for your phone. And if you want to have all of your devices displayed, you're never going to fit them all on one screen and since it's not scrollable, you have to create multiple dashboards and either link to them or to a "dashboard of dashboards" (try to say that 10x fast).

So, I have a bit of a mish-mash. For wall-mounted tablets I use the native dashboards through an android app called WallPanel (fully kiosk browser is another popular option). And for my phone I use SharpTools.

Not trying to dissuade you in any way. Just trying to be up front about the challenges I've had. Everyone is quick to point out all the great but sometimes not so quick to point out some of the areas with a lot of potential. The big take away with dashboards...you won't have something right out of the box that will get you by like the ST app. So, make sure you're thinking about that as you begin your migration. I was left scrambling because I thought it would "make itself" with a default layout I could modify. It does...but what shows up wouldn't be anything you could really use.

One thing I love about the native dashboard is the ability to control what the device is recognized as. I have several dimmers that I don't really control as dimmers from a dashboard. From a dashboard I just need an override, usually to turn them off. You can go in and change the tile from a dimmer to a switch and now it shows up as a switch. Very useful.

you mentioned the aeotec z wave stick. I have looked into this device before. Has there been any comparisons between the standard included stick and the aeotec one? It does seem that the aeotec stick does not have zigbee support though so I would think that might be an issue.

If you're in Europe you have to have two sticks, zigbee with the us stick and then a separate Z-wave stick. Europe is a different frequency.

I'm in america

What I'm saying is that you can use another z-wave stick if you want.

In case you're still serious, I'd make a decision. I think I saw in the forum that they're on sale for eighty something dollars on hubitat.com. Just this weekend I think. Hop over there an look to be sure. Hopefully hearing that will make you pull the trigger. You won't be disappointed.

To clearly describe all combinations: if you have the HUSBZB-1 inserted, it will use that for ZigBee, regardless of what you're using for Z-Wave. If you have a Z-Stick inserted, it will use that for Z-Wave; if you don't, it will use the HUSBZB-1 for both. You can also use just the Z-Stick for only Z-Wave, and you can use no stick at all for LAN-only capabilities. (You can also have one or both sticks and manually disable Z-Wave or ZigBee.)

I don't think anyone has compared the two, at least not that I've seen with Hubitat. But I doubt it would be a useful endeavor anyway (they're probably comparable, or at least I haven't heard horror stories of someone suddenly needing to add more repeaters to their Z-Wave network). If you're concerned about range, your best bet is to make sure you have Z-Wave repeaters in your network in reasonable range of both the hub and other devices (less of a concern if everything is close to your hub, but even nearby you can get "dead zones" if the propagation of the radio waves just happens to work that way in your configuration--and unlike the ST hub, I don't think the "best" direction to face the sticks' antenna[s] is documented).

So, hopefully you've got at least one or two powered Z-Wave devices in your network besides your hub (and possibly more if you've got a larger area to cover)--a good idea regardless of whatever minuscule differences may exist between different sticks/hubs.

The Aeon ZStick is too valuable to be sticking in a hub. :smiley:

If you have one, you'd want to use it for Excluding, not attached to some Hub, unable to move :smiley:

Of course, if you have two, then sure, use one in the Hub. :smiley:

1 Like

$45 for a device to do exclusions? I've never had an issue excluding right from the hub.

well I went ahead and picked one up, looking forward to checking it out